DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was able to get a box of Hatch Chiles today. (Yum!) It was 10:30 and they were already down to their last 12 boxes. After buying a box I took it outside and had them roasted.

They then line the box with a trash bag. (Note: Bag was note leak proof)

Here they are at home.

And out of the box.

This is what they look like after roasting.

I drained them all of their juice and bagged them up in lots of 6/7 chiles in quart size bags and 12/14 of the larger chiles in gallon bags.

5 gallon bags and 12 quart bags went into the freezer. Can’t wait to make some Chile Verde.

We have been eating them this week here in Texas. Several stores having the fire roaster like you shown. I stuffed some last night like ABT's and were awesome.

I've never seen these hatch chiles in Wisconsin. Are they distributed nationwide or is it a localized thing?

Thanks for the link! I come across some Hatch chile powder here in Virginia sometimes but not often.

Thanks for the link! I come across some Hatch chile powder here in Virginia sometimes but not often.

Hatch Chile Roast:

Kroger - South Main Street - Blacksburg, VA
1322 S Main St
Blacksburg, VA
(540) 953-7004
Friday September 11 11:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday September 12 9:00am – 4:00pm

I've never seen these hatch chiles in Wisconsin. Are they distributed nationwide or is it a localized thing?

Hatch Chile Roast:

Hy-Vee: Fitchburg
2920 Fitchrona Road
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
608-273-5120
Friday August 21
Saturday August 22
Sunday August 23

Thanks Andy! Looks like I'm going to the store on my lunch break.

Looks like they're doing it at the Ralph's in Marina del Rey on Saturday - hope to check that out. Thanks for putting this up!

Ordered 5 lbs online. Is it recommended to char/peel/dice/seal? What should I do as a first time hatcher?

Never thought of peeling them later. Got a bunch I am going to roast up today. I'll give it a try...

Went to the local Mexican grocery store yesterday. They had never heard of Hatch chilies. But tomorrow I get to go to the BIG city. Maybe 40,000 I'll try there.

Got mine last week they sell them in the stores here. A friend made me a roaster so I roast my own.

If you like green chile, you might want to ask your chile provider-of-choice if they can get fresh ripe chiles - these will be red.

The fresh red chiles are a bit larger in size as they've grown longer and have a sweeter flavor - much like the difference between a green bell pepper and red bell pepper.

The red chiles are usually available about the second week of September and are on the market for about one month.

The red chiles need to be roasted longer than a green chile because the skin is thicker and tougher. If you're roasting them yourself, try putting them between folds of a damp towel after roasting. Steaming the chile (either red or green) helps release the skin from the pepper.

We get 30 pounds of green chile and 30 pounds of red chile every year. You will find that peeling the chile just after it has been roasted and steamed is easier than peeling a chile that has been frozen with the skin on it. We peel all of our chiles before bagging and freezing.

Now I will leave you with a recipe that I made up years ago called "Pollo en el arroyo" - or "chicken in a ditch."

I like to use boned chicken breasts. You can fix them anyway you want, I 've done this with:

Smoked chicken
Baked chicken
Boiled chicken

Of course the smoked and baked were rubbed before cooking, while the boiled chicken is done with cilantro, coriander, garlic, onions, and a bit of salt - and we generally toss 3-4 dried, chipotle peppers into the water.

With the boiled chicken, I like to use the excess chicken cubed to make green chile chicken stew.

Anyway - back to chicken in ditch...

If you're in a hurry, skip the next part and go directly to making the final dish.

If you have the time, shred the chicken a make chicken adovada. You marinate the cooked chicken in a red chile sauce and then bake it.

After preparing the chicken however you want and shredding it, you're ready to make the final dish.

First stuff whole green or red chiles with cheese like you're making a chile relleno.

Take some of the chicken and put it into the center of a tortilla and then lay the stuffed chile on top of the shredded chicken. Add some green chile sauce on top if you like and then roll it up like a burrito.

Put the relleno / chicken burritos in a baking pan, add more green chile sauce and then some cheese on top and bake at 350 F until the cheese turns brown...and then you have "chicken in a ditch."

The first time we made this was about 1984, and we were struggling with how to put everything together. My wife was holding the tortilla in her cupped hand to make sure the chicken was at the bottom, and was laying the stuffed chile on top and asked what I wanted to call it....I looked at the V-shaped tortilla she was holding and said..."chicken in ditch"...

I got some at Wegman's in Cherry Hill, NJ today. They were roasting, but I only bought 10 lbs so I am roasting them myself. Interestingly, they did not have any mild - only medium, hot and extra hot. Tonight I roasted and ate what should have been 2 medium and 1 hot, but they didn't seem hot at all to me. I am wondering if those heat labels have been adjusted for the east coast or something. I would call what I got mild and mild-medium.

They were tasty, but I am not yet prepared to buy and freeze 25 lbs. Perhaps I will go back after I try them again tomorrow though. FWIW, the cost was $1.99 lb or a 25lb case for $40 - roasting included.

Back