MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #181
utnorris
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Buddy

My family likes a lot of smoke like what my stick burner produced, how is everyone getting more smoke and a good bark? So far I have done a brisket and pork butt on a LG Champion Pro I got from Costco and I am not satisfied with the level of smokiness of the meat. I a have tried Pit Boss competition blend, Traeger Hickory, B&B Competition blend and Pitt Boss Hickory. Any thoughts? I have read lower heat for added smoke (180) but higher heat for bark (225). Kinda frustrating to be honest.
utnorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #182
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnorris View Post
My family likes a lot of smoke like what my stick burner produced, how is everyone getting more smoke and a good bark? So far I have done a brisket and pork butt on a LG Champion Pro I got from Costco and I am not satisfied with the level of smokiness of the meat. I a have tried Pit Boss competition blend, Traeger Hickory, B&B Competition blend and Pitt Boss Hickory. Any thoughts? I have read lower heat for added smoke (180) but higher heat for bark (225). Kinda frustrating to be honest.

Try lumberjack 100% hickory pellets. Strongest I have found. Run your butt or brisket around 180-200 for a couple hours then move to 250 for rest of cook. If that isn’t enough, try adding an amazen tube. If that isn’t enough, pellets are likely not for you

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #183
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Try lumberjack 100% hickory pellets. Strongest I have found. Run your butt or brisket around 180-200 for a couple hours then move to 250 for rest of cook. If that isn’t enough, try adding an amazen tube. If that isn’t enough, pellets are likely not for you

Memphis Elite

+1 ... also if possible, you can always look to modify the firebox a bit to accept wood chunks. I've done that with my FEC-100 and I burn a few wood chunks next to the firebox.
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #184
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskres View Post
Should have read the whole thread. Sutherland’s on 21st had pecan last time I was in.
I buy from Atwoods, I didn't know Sutherlands carried them, will check them out. Thanks.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #185
Joshw
Babbling Farker

+1 on the Lumberjack Hickory. They give the heaviest smoke profile of any pellet I have tried. Also invest in an Amaze-n-tube. Not sure what to say on the bark. I have never had any issues with that on the YS640. What kind of rub are you using, and are you wrapping?

Quote:
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #186
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
For
On my YS640 I’ll run it at the lowest setting (150) for the first two hours. At this setting it pukes smoke like crazy. Then turn it up to 225 until the internal temp reaches 160 - 170, I then set it to 275 until done.

I’ve used the smoke tube already and it does add quite a bit of smoke flavor but the procedure I just explained works the best for me. Plenty of smoke flavor.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #187
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
With a brisket you should have plenty of time to achieve both.

In order to get the smokiest output, put the brisket in the smoker cold, straight from the fridge, and wet with whatever binder you use for the rub — mustard, sauce, water, whatever. The cold temp and moisture will increase the amount of smoke the meat picks up. Then, as noted above, smoke it at 180 (or even lower, if possible) for the first 4-5 hours, because pellets smoke more at lower temp’s.

At some point in the cook you reach a point of diminishing returns, in that the meat picks up less and less smoke. So after 4-5 hours, crank the temp up to 225 or 250 to finish the cook, which still leaves plenty of time to set the bark. But do not wrap, which will help form the bark and permit the brisket to continue picking up whatever smoke it can for the rest of the cook.

It will work the same with pork butts, just compress the times a little.

Using this method, I haven’t needed any smoke tubes or other enhancers with my Mak, but I realize pellet smokers vary in the amount of smoke they produce so if the above doesn’t satisfy you, you can try the tubes, etc.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by OklaDustDevil; 06-10-2018 at 01:28 PM..
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #188
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Yep, some grills put out more than others but EVERY GRILL is subject to the quality of pellets used.

If I can help it I only use Cookin pellets or lumberjack in the flavors I'm needing.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #189
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Some carne asada...sadly, no plated pics

Memphis Elite

gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #190
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

We've done briskets side by side with my GMG and an Amaz'n tube and my Humphreys. The Humphreys still had significantly more smoke. Nature of the beast with pellets. Cook lower temps with the strongest wood you can find. I don't want to say never, but pellets will almost never stack up to the smoke level that "traditional" smokers can produce.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #191
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
I don't want to say never, but pellets will almost never stack up to the smoke level that "traditional" smokers can produce.
Yeah, and some folks like very, very heavy smoke...the type that you burp smoke for a week after the meal. Pellet smokers definitely not for them.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #192
Rib Rub
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
We've done briskets side by side with my GMG and an Amaz'n tube and my Humphreys. The Humphreys still had significantly more smoke. Nature of the beast with pellets. Cook lower temps with the strongest wood you can find. I don't want to say never, but pellets will almost never stack up to the smoke level that "traditional" smokers can produce.
I have a box of Hickory Mojobricks out there and they say you can use them on the Pellet. Just throw them on.

Looking forward to getting my MAK 2 Star. Hopefully will be here this week!! Got some new Big Poppa Smoker Rubs (Money, Sweet Money) and two bags of BBQ’s Delight Hickory Pellets that came with it. Looking forward to trying the BBQ’s Delight Pellets. Cannot get them around here, curious to see how they burn and taste. Also bought a big Briskett. Never did one, but it is going on for my first cook!! Going to break it in right!!

Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #193
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Yeah, and some folks like very, very heavy smoke...the type that you burp smoke for a week after the meal. Pellet smokers definitely not for them.
I don't know anyone, or remember reading on this or other sites, that like to burp smoke for a week.
Those who burp smoke, are new to the craft and don't know better, and are looking for help to eliminate the smoke burp.

I've got both a stick burner and a pellet grill. My stick burner will produce more smoke flavor, but I definitely will not burp smoke, nor would anyone who eat my food.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #194
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I have a box of Hickory Mojobricks out there and they say you can use them on the Pellet. Just throw them on.

Looking forward to getting my MAK 2 Star. Hopefully will be here this week!! Got some new Big Poppa Smoker Rubs (Money, Sweet Money) and two bags of BBQ’s Delight Hickory Pellets that came with it. Looking forward to trying the BBQ’s Delight Pellets. Cannot get them around here, curious to see how they burn and taste. Also bought a big Briskett. Never did one, but it is going on for my first cook!! Going to break it in right!!
Sounds like you got some big plans. Let us know how the new Mak and first brisket work out.

BTW, I like the BBQr’s Delight, works good in the YS640, plenty of smoke flavor. Lumberjack pellets are next to impossible to find around here.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #195
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
I don't know anyone, or remember reading on this or other sites, that like to burp smoke for a week.
Those who burp smoke, are new to the craft and don't know better, and are looking for help to eliminate the smoke burp.
Read: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...52&postcount=4