MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
JayinBoston
Found some matches.

Default Party Advice

I'm cooking for my 2 year old's birthday party this Saturday and wanted to get the Brethren's opinion on the amount of food to cook. We will have 30-35 people about half of which will be kids aged 2-8. I'm definitely cooking one packer brisket 12-15 lbs. I'll also do 3-4 racks of spares that I'll cut individually and serve as appetizers. I'm also planning at least one pork shoulder, probably about 12 lbs. I'm thinking I might as well cook 2 shoulders since I'll have the smoker fired up and the leftovers freeze well. What say the Brethren? BTW, I'm cooking on a WSM 22 and also have a 22 inch kettle if I need more room.
JayinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

You should have enough. Sounds like a good party. Have fun Dad, and happy birthday to the kiddo!

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. An almost finished UDS
Insta @lumberjacksmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

I'm a fan of the KISS principle. That's a lot of food for a 2 year olds Bday party. Brisket? If the kids will be between 2 and 8, I'm sure they would be just as happy with hot dogs and hamburgers. Maybe chicken and ribs. Brisket and pork shoulder will give you no time to enjoy the party unless you cook it the day before.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

All these kids like BBQ? May Need Hot Dogs like stated.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

My kind of party . . . bones as apps. Nice! Plenty of food. I'd like to see how you load that WSM up with all of it. Good luck and happy bday to your kid!

Old 07-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like you said, leftovers freeze well.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Bigbears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Chicken fingers, dogs, mac and cheese for the kids, sounds like your will have plenty of food.
OG PBC
Gen 1Weber performer
Bigbears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

Hot dogs hamburgers Mac and cheese and ice cream I scream u scream we all scream for ice cream I'm sure the kids will have fun no matter what you fix I know all kids like hot dogs and hamburgers not sure about BBQ sounds like your a great dad
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
JayinBoston
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the replies. My boys (4 & 2) eat BBQ. In fact, my 4 year old begs for pulled pork. We don't really cater to "kids" tastes for our boys (they eat what we eat), so I ain't doing it for other people's kids. Plus, I've found if you get a kid to try a rib, they will gobble them down! Half the reason for doing the party is an excuse for me to get to play with my smoker. There will be plenty of sides and other junk (chips, etc) for apps so no kid will go hungry.

I think I'm going to do two shoulders. It will probably be too much food, but my softball team will destroy the leftovers the following Wednesday. I'll probably end up doing the ribs on the kettle depending on when the big meats finish. I'll try to post pics if I can remember to take them.
JayinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

just did a party w/ about 40 adults and 20 kids. Only thing I ran out of was hot dogs. Hurt my pride a bit but kids eat those by the fistfull
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote