MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
estepel13
Found some matches.

Arrow Gasket on a Kamado - Opinions Needed

Hey guys, looking for any advice or user reviews on two specific gaskets for a kamado cooker.

1. The Rutland gasket
2. Permatex Ultra Copper RTV (as seen here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm)

I've tried to do some searching on these two and noticed there's not a lot of info post-2011. If anyone has experience with either of these two, could you chime in please? And if anyone still has their gasket from 2011 going strong, I might be sold lol.

I've burned through a couple nomex felt gaskets now on my Vision Classic B, and wouldn't mind a more "robust" option.

Thanks in advance for the help!
estepel13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
estepel13
Found some matches.

Also, I know there's some old threads regarding this, but I didn't want to resurrect some thread from 2011.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
GATABITES
On the road to being a farker

Guys on the BGE forum love and swear by the Rutland. It last for a long time. I will be moving to this option when my felt on my XL is fried. The longevity all depends on how well you install it.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
estepel13
Found some matches.

Gata, I've seen guys drop the adhesive that comes with the Rutland for the permatex ultra copper...could help longevity, I think

Old 10-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I removed my burnt off BGE gasket years ago. adjusted the bands that hold the dome and have gone nekkid' ever since.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
SmokerKing
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure about the Vision, but I made a removable gasket for my BGE for high heat cooks.

SmokerKing is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

I've had a high heat BGE gasket for years, not sure how so many folks burn through them so easily. And remember, you only need it on one surface.

Backwoods Party G2
XL, L, SM BGE's
2016 MAK 1 Star
Brick Santa Maria Fire Pit
22" OTG Weber Kettle & a Nice Old Redhead

[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108419"][COLOR="Red"]Brisket UN-appreciation Thread[/COLOR][/URL]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
estepel13
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Not sure about the Vision, but I made a removable gasket for my BGE for high heat cooks.

Now that's slick!

How does the egg do with no gasket on low and slow cooks? Couldn't imagine it'd seal very well.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estepel13 View Post
How does the egg do with no gasket on low and slow cooks? Couldn't imagine it'd seal very well.
Doesn't matter.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
SmokerKing
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by estepel13 View Post
Now that's slick!

The band is adjusted for the gasket, it's about 1/16" thicker than the normal BGE gasket to account for the steel sandwiched in the middle.

I use the gasket when I smoke, low and slow, etc. I remove it for high heat searing steaks and cooking pizza's, the small gap doesn't matter at that point.
SmokerKing is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
BGWolf
Knows what a fatty is.

I have had a Rutland on my XL BGE for many years without any issues. See @RRP over on the BGE forum and he'll hook you up with a Rutland sized for your kamado, with detailed instruction for installation. It's installed with permatex ultra copper on the bottom only.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
lkissell
On the road to being a farker

I too have installed the Rutland gasket with the Permatex ultra copper adhesive and it has lasted several years.

This seems to be the best option available, so I recommend it.
Hunsaker Drum
lkissell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
estepel13
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGWolf View Post
I have had a Rutland on my XL BGE for many years without any issues. See @RRP over on the BGE forum and he'll hook you up with a Rutland sized for your kamado, with detailed instruction for installation. It's installed with permatex ultra copper on the bottom only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkissell View Post
I too have installed the Rutland gasket with the Permatex ultra copper adhesive and it has lasted several years.

This seems to be the best option available, so I recommend it.
Seems like this is an easy DIY that's giving some great results, thank you guys for your input. Off to go find the mythical RRP...

Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Too many folks get all whipped up, about having a fantastic gasket in their cooker In most cases, it's not even needed. BGE gasket on the base lip, bare on the top...been rocking that for years. Just because the gasket starts looking hashed, doesn't mean it's not doing it's job. Ceramic cookers are so efficient, a small leak is not gonna make or break you. You can see my blackened gasket in the pic below, still works like a charm.

Backwoods Party G2
XL, L, SM BGE's
2016 MAK 1 Star
Brick Santa Maria Fire Pit
22" OTG Weber Kettle & a Nice Old Redhead

[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108419"][COLOR="Red"]Brisket UN-appreciation Thread[/COLOR][/URL]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
gasket, Kamado, permatex, Rutland, vision kamado