why pull pork?

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
i like country ribs, so i have been cutting butts lengthwise into 1 1/2 inch steaks, and then trimming two smaller steaks off the bone and even smoking the bone with what ever meat is left on it for bean soup. what i am getting at is that when the meat is done you can just smash it down into 1 inch pieces with an appearance from the world renown mr. brown on each end, provided that you cut at a 90* angle to the grain. it is more consistant than regular pulled pork and has alot more flavor and texture due to its high content of bark. also no guesswork in cooking times due to different weights of meat. i use a 4/2/1 smoke/foil/baste method at 250*. now the question for teams. would this be good in competition? give it a shot. i hope you like it.
phil

You can't cut your pork butt into pieces to cook in KCBS competition. It has to be cooked whole or you will be D Q'd. Not to say that this doesn't happen in comps. but it is against the rules and is considered cheating.

The definition of the pork entry is shoulder or butt "not parted out" and the rib category forbids "country style ribs" so you lose both ways.

Back