Smoking in advance

bob80001

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a family get together next Sunday, and I plan on doing an overnight smoke early in the week. Doing 1 brisket and 1 pork shoulder. So here is what I am planning:
Smoke the meat overnight...take it off into a cooler to rest for an hour or so, then slice/pull. Then what should I do? Should I put it in the freezer until the end of the week, or just refrigerate? I will prob smoke monday or tuesday night, and we are leaving on Saturday morning, so I'll have it in a cooler on ice for the 7 hour car ride. Eating on Sunday afternoon. Also, any tips for thaw/re-heating?

I would pull the shoulder and freez for a day or two just to make it last. Then thaw in the fridge so it will be ready for heating when you get where ever.

You could slice the brisket then do the same as the shoulder but make sure you have plenty of the juice to pur over when reheating.

Brisket loves to dry out so you might be better off keeping it whole and slice after reheating.

Personally, if it's going to be more than 3 days, I'd freeze it. Other, more knowledgeable folk will pass by...

do you have a food saver?

I would smoke then prepare like you would if you was going to eat it, put it in the food saver bags, vac/seal and freeze them, when you get to where you are going, just boil the bags intill they are hot. I do this all the time, and the BBQ is just as good as the day I cooked it.

do you have a food saver?

I would smoke then prepare like you would if you was going to eat it, put it in the food saver bags, vac/seal and freeze them, when you get to where you are going, just boil the bags intill they are hot. I do this all the time, and the BBQ is just as good as the day I cooked it.

I don't have a food saver, but it sounds like it is something new that I need to get in the future! Thanks for the idea!

If what you want is a natural appeal (meaning not polluted with crappy sauce) then I suggest the following.

Pork Butts

Smoke your product.... pull the bone out of the butt (hee hee) and IMMEDIATELY wrap in a food grade plastic wrap. The cooling will draw in the plastic as it cools a bit on the counter --- then freeze.

Now as you drive simply dump the frozen butt in the ice chest, you do not even need ice. Pop it in the fridge before you go to bed. If you take 7 hours and there is no ice in the chest it should defrost perfectly.

On Sunday set an oven to 250 and heat (assuming its thawed) until the plastic expands from the pressure inside.... no it will not pop or burn. If you are paranoid simply wrap in foil while still in the wrap.

Brisket... same thing... wrap nice and tight... going one way then the other... sideways and long ways.... same temp... same process. slice once unwrapped.

tip: let the meat rest until it draws the plastic back in THEN cut and unwrap. NEVER throw away the juice... mix it in. assuming you have a decent rub it will be wonderful.

tip: I used to deliver butts to a deli and they loved it deboned (which should just pull out) and wrapped as a whole roast and here is why. When the roast is done and the plastic has drawn back in (with allllllllll those yummy juices) you can literally mix it and break it up with your hands BEFORE you take it out. I have done it while its cold too but its harder.

I also suggest and demand everyone else here do the same in the future. The revolution will be barbersized... hold it... thats like a shaving cream.

Thanks for all the info...

Smoke your product.... pull the bone out of the butt (hee hee) and IMMEDIATELY wrap in a food grade plastic wrap. The cooling will draw in the plastic as it cools a bit on the counter --- then freeze.

I don't have access to the heavy duty food service wrap, but I do have the "microwave safe" Saran Wrap. I know I'm not going to microwave this, but is it suitable for doing this?

Back