What does an average competition cost you?

How much do you spend (for everything) at a contest?

• Total voters

goodbuddiesbbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What I am looking for is how much do you typically spend on average per event?

This includes Entry Fee, Gas, Tolls, Food, Beer, Comp Food, Charcoal, Wood, Pellets, Sauces, Rubs, Foil, Cleaners New Utensils...Everything!

Best Guesses Only...it'll be interesting to see what the "Winners" have to say.

This weekend we are spending $485 on everything including gas and we are driving 550 miles round trip. This is about what we spend everywhere except the American Royal.

For the average contest we spend about $750 or so at KCBS and around $1800 for a MBN contest (those whole hogs add up!) Obviously, driving distance, entrance fees and the like can add or subtract up to $400 to a contest.

95% of the comps I do average $250.00 in expenses the rest run between $300-$350 with Pasadena running $600.00 (That includes two nights at a Holiday Inn Express).

Would spreading the payouts...bring more money and competition?

Lets say a contest pays $10,000.

Overall Top 5 Get Paid:
GC - Gets $2000
RGC - Gets $1200
3rd - Gets $400
4th - Gets $240
5th - Gets $160

Would you consider those payouts weak for 1st & 2nd?

Category Gets:
1st - $400
2nd -$300
3rd - $200
4th - $150
5th - $100
6th - $90
7th - $80
8th - $70
9th - $60
10th - $50

In a scenario like this...I would say that probably 3-4 teams would make money or break even. Possibly another 4-6 teams would recover at least half of their expenses.

My opinion is this...if an event has a lot of teams competing (50 or more), there are probably 3-5 teams that could say they had the best stuff on that day IMO. However, with different judging tables, no matter weak or strong, the top can be separated by only a few points.

Currently, it seems like 2-3 people make money or break even and 2-3 teams might get half back, maybe. I compete with a team that has had some pretty good success, but in a comp with 70 teams and getting 3 mid range category calls and a finish less than 2nd...we walked with a $100. 1 bad table away from making some real noise (chicken was good, judges were wrong). In this scenario, we would have walked with $440 and probably only lost $250. Instead, we eat $650 and walk back with so many trophies it looks like we robbed a senior bowling league.

Trophies are nice, but I'd rather compete more often.

Are more people in favor of winner take all (McCain/Palin) or share the wealth (Obama/Biden)?

Trickle Down Economics meets BBQ! And if this is my 3rd Strike...let it be...Obama 2012! Don't you remove this Jorge!

That's a good payout schedule. The GC, RGC and categories are typical for this area.

We often see a fifth category. We never see payment down 5 overall in a 10k comp.

I like the way you did it.

We do about $500 a contest in KCBS. $700 for a MBN. And about $8500 for Memphis in May That's Gas, Meat, Entry, Booze, well everything...

Neil

My wife and I own a small cafe and tea room and when we leave on Friday and Saturday, we have to bring in extra staff. This is why I budget an average of $1,000 per contest to go play at our hobby. There is no way that we can ever recover this, so we truly treat it as a hobby. With the exception of one contest in TX, the rest are at least 300 miles one way. Towing the trailer with gas at $3 average sucks. The way I look at it, I could have a boat and pour money into a hole in the water, I could play golf and pour money into the ground, race funny cars and pour money into the pavement, or we can compete with BBQ and have a good time and pour money into the pit.

Depending on distance, $500-$600. Give the Money to GC & RGC, they deserve it. Pay through 5 places...If you arent good enough to get up there, get better.

Yes, I would consider those pay outs for 1st & 2nd weak!

95% of the comps I do average $250.00 in expenses the rest run between $300-$350 with Pasadena running $600.00 (That includes two nights at a Holiday Inn Express).

Wow Zilla! That's pretty sweet. The entry fees alone around here run $250. By the time I add a stamp and mail it, I'm already over your average. There are a few that are $200 or $225. By the time we buy contest meat, supplies, food, drinks and travel - we're right around $500-550. No hotels.

Back