MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Default Serious question about people who have UDS' and who want UDS'

Not sure how to ask this question other than rambling on....Basically I'm considering, if things work out making UDS' to sell on CL. Those of you who have UDS, I built my own and they are easy and obviously you built your own but if you could have paid a little more money would you have done that instead of time and effort? Also, I've seen plenty of UDS on CL for $200 and up. Do people actually pay that much for one? I've always thought your better off selling more merchandise for a cheaper price as to have one big sale. Trying to do some research into this and considering all my options. What do you guys think?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

I have had a uds-kettle combo on CL twice for $125 for both and have had no interest. So I guess it depends on your location. Abilene tx apparently isn't the right spot. I can't give them away.
I have had interest in large pits though.
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I am going to build my UDS the weekend after the Superbowl, I think.

Honestly, I think the "building it myself" part will be a bit part of the fun of having one and I am not particularly handy. Would I consider paying for one instead of building it if the price were right? Sure, but it really would have to be fairly cheap. I suppose, hypothetically, I could see paying in the $100-$150 range for one, despite the fact that I am pretty sure building it myself will run me far less than that (and this includes buying a certified refurbished SS drum -- I could lower my costs even more by buying elsewhere and doing a series of burnouts).

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

For me, I was looking for a project I could build for myself and for cheaply. So buying someone else's creation wasn't even an option for me. I wanted the satisfaction of building something I could use myself for years ahead.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscrat View Post
I have had a uds-kettle combo on CL twice for $125 for both and have had no interest. So I guess it depends on your location. Abilene tx apparently isn't the right spot. I can't give them away.
I have had interest in large pits though.
That's the only thing I worried about is wether they would sell or not. Considered really just taking orders. There are hundred of ways to build one why not have one built the way you want it? Not to mention if no one bites I don't have any money tied into it.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

MOST CL watchers don't have any idea what a UDS is so you would have to build several of them then post the pics and say "can build to suite!"
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I think this would be market/area dependent. For instance, bbq equipment on CL in Houston is pretty slim pickings whereas Dallas CL constantly has all kinds of cookers come up - Weber, Big Green Eggs, etc.

Some areas may have people less inclined to build UDS' themselves. For instance, IKEA products are specifically designed and packed for self pick-up and self-assembly, yet there are a good number of folks who pay to have items assembled (my wife's cousin is one of them).
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

i've seen them for $100.00 and they did not sell on CL

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Build a few and see.Offer custom options,paint etc.Very low startup costs and if it flops,give em away as Christmas presents or donate a few to a charity raffle to get your name out there.MARKETING,and ENVY(so and so has one,so I want one too,ie,BGE),is the key

On the other hand there is NO WAY I would pay over $100 for the coolest one I ever laid eyes on.Just sayin.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
PigTamer
Full Fledged Farker

For me it was a project for me and my boys, it is part of he experience.
PigTamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I tried selling one once for $125 posted it for a month nothing not one email. Another guy had one on cl for $200 the other day with the epoxy liner still in it, I had to email him and let him know, he claimed he burns them out but the one he had posted was dressed and ready to go epoxy and all.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

Guess its all about how well it's built and the demand for it. We have about 10 first place chicken trophies in a little over 3 years and they were all cooked on my guru controlled UDS. I have made 5 exact clones of mine. Top of the line charcoal basket, perfectly fitting weber lid, 2 cook levels and BBQ guru for $1000. My cost is $700 and Before any of you fly off the handle on me, it's built perfect and IMO is the best designed UDS out there. Honestly for comps, I don't think there is a better chicken cooker out there! All of my drums are new, sealed, unlined virgin drums
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I have a friend that sells them on CL starting at $225. I don't think he could do it for a living. But, they sell pretty well. His most expensive "model" is $425

Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumJEFF View Post
I have a friend that sells them on CL starting at $225. I don't think he could do it for a living. But, they sell pretty well. His most expensive "model" is $425
Beat me to it!! Darn! (speaking of, howdy from across the street! I'm in F-town as well)

I bought one from Don and his stuff is top notch. Brand new unlined drums and built with an attention to detail. He has told me that he does 1 or 2 every 2 to 4 weeks on average during the winter. He also said that it usually flip flops during the summer and gets 2 or 3 orders every week or 2. He built mine to my specs and it ran me $275. I was totally ok with paying for it because he is a great guy, built it the way I wanted it, and backs it up with recipes, tips, and tricks. He doesn't just sell it to you and then disappear. That shows a lot of integrity in a seller. I'm sure if I found something wrong with my Big Ugly, or wanted something replaced, Don would be happy to help. Good customer support is worth every penny! Anywho, enough of my rambling..

Here is a link to his CL ad to give you an idea of what he does..
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/3581724861.html

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Being someone who read practically the whole thread on UDS I wanted to build one. But with 2 kids, a job that is over an hour each way commute I knew that wasn't an option.
So I bought one on eBay. Was a good build, has casters, 3 rack setup, ash pan.. Etc.

The whole thing is this, I'm not paying more then 2/3 of a WSM 22". So if they are going for $400 the max I will pay is $250 and that's shipped.

I also agree with what some of the people have said about location. In places where BBQ is big you will have a tough time selling them.

But in NJ/NY I think you can sell them $200 all day long. BTW you may need to create a website and have some nice pics/videos. But for $200 you can't get a better deal for someone who has no tools. BTW you would be surprised how many people don't have tools living in NYC area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote