OLD OLD School Smoker. REAL OLD!!!

R

rcbaughn

Well, you wanna talk about old old smoking?!?! Here's the old smokehouse that my great grandpa built about 90 years ago when he was young. They were gonna burn down the old house since it was rotten and this smokehouse, but we went and tore it down and rebuilt it behind our house. We've smoked our own bacon and hams in it after our winter slaughters, and used his old salt box even for curing them. I guess you can guess that we were hanging the meat and cold smoking and not cooking to doneness! Always used all hickory for smoking.

I guess it isn't your typical smoker setup, but I thought some of you guys might find it pretty cool. It sure has a lot of sentimental meaning to me and makes me proud that we rebuilt just like he had it, down to the latch that was on the original door.

CabinPicture12.jpg

That is way cool. Please post more pictures. I'd like to see the inside and some closups. Not often we get a chance to view a 90 year old smoker.

That is fanfarkingtastic. The only thing better would be more pix! :hungry:

Thanks for putting that up. :thumb:

That is terminally awesome! How farkin cool, your Grampa's smokehouse, dayum!!

That's incredible! Very cool thing that y'all did.

Thank you SO SO SO much guys! That is where we rebuilt it behind our house. I would give anything to have a picture of where it stood and of the original building but we found out about them burning it down the DAY BEFORE they had told the fire department to be there to burn it, so we rushed there that Sunday evening and got it down. Definitely hectic and we didn't get pictures, but the old building was just like what you see except it didn't have a the small overhang on the front. Only reason it has that now is because some of the sideboards were rotten so we shortened the building and left the roof its original length and propped up the overhang with some trees we cut down for the vertical beams. Otherwise, it's just as it was down to everything but the nails. Here is a few more, and ignore the ugly mug in a few of them. Dad likes to get us kids in pictures.

The smokehouse has the path leading down to it from the driveway and it's kind of built behind out clothesline. That's what those two T-shaped posts are where the path ends before veering left to the smokehouse.

100_0376.jpg

100_0399.jpg

Me and Dad are obsessed with old stuff. I'll don't have any other pictures of the smokehouse on this college computer, but I'll get a bunch of good ones when I go home next time. Here is a picture of a storage shed we built out of several old buildings we tore down from as far away as 100 miles. It really could be a livable cabin but we just use it for storage and have swing doors out back and some cross ties for ramps up into it to park four-wheelers and mowers. About a year of hunting for wood and two weekends building it.

100_0378.jpg

100_0379.jpg

100_0401.jpg

Front porch view looking towards smokehouse, the fencing is one really long one we tore down and used the best vertical posts to make the three rung one towards the smokehouse, and the shorter ones that were rotten on the bottom we cut off and make two rungs high and that fence leads to the back deck on Dad's house. The fence is probably 70 years old if I had to guess. You can see a couple of my grandpa's old farm implements to the left and right of the porch there too. Those things have hone a lot of work behind a mule and his old Cub tractor. Still use the Cub to disc our garden -

100_0380.jpg

I'll get pictures of a REALLY old out-house we rebuilt too. It's probably my favorite building. Moon on the door and all. Also take some of our old corn crib. We certainly stayed busy for a few years before I moved off to college. Good memories with my dad no doubt. Dad isn't into sports or fishing, so that's just what we took up I guess.

very cool. we still have the one on our family farm that was built in the later 1800s my family used it intill the later 1970s since than its been used for storage but with a little work it could still be used for smoking

Back