MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Miney9774
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default New smoker, which type?

I’m looking to get back into smoking after a 10 year hiatus. I’m wondering with the same rack of ribs, brisket or pork butt prepared and cooked the same, which type of smoker would produce the best product from a pellet smoker, vertical or gravity smoker? I don’t really want to use a side smoker anymore or that’s what I’d be using.
I’m mostly just cooking for me and the wife which I know the vertical and gravity may be a bit larger than needed but that’s fine I just want to produce the best product.
As far as a pellet smoker I was looking at yoders, blazin or Mak. I don’t have any specific vertical smokers in mind yet but this one is for sale but I can find nothing on the builder really
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...h_query=Smoker
And maybe a stumps or a Myron Maxim gravity smoker but I’m not too familiar with those either yet.

Last edited by Miney9774; 01-21-2020 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Add
Miney9774 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Best is so subjective! All of the types that you mention will produce good results. It just depends on how much smoke flavor you want, etc.

BTW, There a couple of gravity fed smokers for sale right now in our General For Sale section.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Also depends how much you want to spend You can do a UDS If you cant make one you can get from Big Poppa Smokers and it has everything you need but the drum lid and coal basket I believe Green Eggs are nice I smoke on mine and can also use it for a grill
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
4ever3

What’s the budget?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Miney9774
Found some matches.

I’ll spend up to 3k-ish. Was just looking at the assassin gravity fed smoker. Heard a lot of great things about those and under 3.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

This is just my opinion, but a vertical cabinet smoker is easily the best out of the 3 options you mentioned. I personally do not like pellet smokers because they are expensive to run, and I just can't taste any smoke flavor on the meat. I've had food off of a Traeger and a Rec Tec and while there's a great smoke ring the smoke flavor just isn't there.

I've never used a gravity feed but I've seen a lot of complaints recently about them because of how often you have to add wood chunks to get some good smoke flavor. Once you open up the door to add wood chunks you get a rush of air, and in turn an increase in temps, and that makes it's tough to keep your temps from running away if you're not careful.

I've always been an offset (both traditional and reverse flow) guy, but a few months ago I got myself an insulated cabinet smoker from Spicewine Ironworks and I'm super happy with the BBQ which comes off of that cooker. Being insulated keeps the temps from swinging too much, and it certainly helps conserve charcoal when it's cold outside. I use 8" wood splits that I have for my offset smoker and split them down pretty thin, and then layer them just underneath the top layer of charcoal in the firebox. I light off the end of a "U-shape" pattern and use a Cyber-Q fan system to control the temps all night long while I sleep like a baby. I can get about 16 hours of run time on a 12Lb bag of lump charcoal, and the temps don't deviate more than 1 or 2 degrees with that fan system. The biggest thing for me is that the smoke flavor is definitely there and it's comparable to my offsets in term of taste. I get great bark, great smoke, and extreme ease of use. Mind you I'm running a small BBQ food truck business so I'm cooking upwards of 70Lbs of meat each day.

If you're just cooking for a few people you might want to consider something like the Shotgun Smoker. It's a good price, good amount of cooking space, and I've heard really good things about it.
https://bbqguru.com/storenav?Categor...&ProductId=337

Edit: It says that you're in Texas so you might also want to check out LonestarGrillz and their "PeeWee" insualted cabinet smoker. I've never used one personally but LonestarGrillz has a great reputation and there's tons of reviews which are just gushing about how well these cookers work.
https://lonestargrillz.com/collectio...cabinet-smoker

Last edited by SmoothBoarBBQ; 01-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Additional smoker suggestion
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
Miney9774
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
This is just my opinion, but a vertical cabinet smoker is easily the best out of the 3 options you mentioned. I personally do not like pellet smokers because they are expensive to run, and I just can't taste any smoke flavor on the meat. I've had food off of a Traeger and a Rec Tec and while there's a great smoke ring the smoke flavor just isn't there.

I've never used a gravity feed but I've seen a lot of complaints recently about them because of how often you have to add wood chunks to get some good smoke flavor. Once you open up the door to add wood chunks you get a rush of air, and in turn an increase in temps, and that makes it's tough to keep your temps from running away if you're not careful.

I've always been an offset (both traditional and reverse flow) guy, but a few months ago I got myself an insulated cabinet smoker from Spicewine Ironworks and I'm super happy with the BBQ which comes off of that cooker. Being insulated keeps the temps from swinging too much, and it certainly helps conserve charcoal when it's cold outside. I use 8" wood splits that I have for my offset smoker and split them down pretty thin, and then layer them just underneath the top layer of charcoal in the firebox. I light off the end of a "U-shape" pattern and use a Cyber-Q fan system to control the temps all night long while I sleep like a baby. I can get about 16 hours of run time on a 12Lb bag of lump charcoal, and the temps don't deviate more than 1 or 2 degrees with that fan system. The biggest thing for me is that the smoke flavor is definitely there and it's comparable to my offsets in term of taste. I get great bark, great smoke, and extreme ease of use. Mind you I'm running a small BBQ food truck business so I'm cooking upwards of 70Lbs of meat each day.

If you're just cooking for a few people you might want to consider something like the Shotgun Smoker. It's a good price, good amount of cooking space, and I've heard really good things about it.
https://bbqguru.com/storenav?Categor...&ProductId=337

Edit: It says that you're in Texas so you might also want to check out LonestarGrillz and their "PeeWee" insualted cabinet smoker. I've never used one personally but LonestarGrillz has a great reputation and there's tons of reviews which are just gushing about how well these cookers work.
https://lonestargrillz.com/collectio...cabinet-smoker
Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response. I’ll check out your links right now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Vertical cabinet, especially if it's insulated.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #9
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

If it's just you and the wife (and a possible 'once in a blue moon' small gathering)….I'd go with Lonestar's Pee Wee or Mini....Humphrey's Weekender, or Long Weekender, or the gravity fed Assassin 17. With either your state taxes (by you being in Texas) or having to pay for shipping from Maine or Georgia....you 'should' slide right into your budget. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
Miney9774
Found some matches.

I’m gonna go with the peewee from Lonestar. Looks perfect for what we need. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #11
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

That seems like the correct choice and what I would have suggested you look at being in Texas.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

You might want to take a gander at the Meadowcreek BX 25, It's good for smaller cooks, a vertical insulated cabinet smoker that would run right in your price range.
I dream and drool over the larger BX 50, but it is way out of my price range.
I think you would be able to enjoy the BX 25 for many years to come.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Being in Texas a Lonestar seems like a no brainer? I don't know if there is a sales tax in Texas to contend with and how that might affect your choice? You may want to have a look at Cascade Smokers as well if an insulated vertical is the route you decide to go with?

Old 01-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
BBQ_MAFIA

I haven't seen a LoneStar other then in video's.
From what I see they look like great cookers.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #15
4ever3

So you JUST wanna smoke food?

Build a drum cooker and keep the money in yer pocket.

You want an all around cooker? Hold off for real world reviews on the Weber Smokefire or jump out there now and buy a MAK 2 Star...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote