Lamb

Smoke Dad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about cooking lamb? I’m not talking lamb chops, more like leg of lamb or any other larger cut. I’m thinking to cook it like a low and slow brisket maybe around 225-250. But I’ve never cooked one before so feel free to clue me in with whatever you got. Cook temps and time, done temp, seasonings, cooking methods, whatever you feel like sharing, including pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leg of lamb is for slicing, cook it to your desired internal temperature; 130-135° Let it rest for a bit then slice. Serve with roasted potatoes and whatever other veggies you like.

If you want pulled lamb, use a lamb shoulder.

For larger cooks, we buy yearling lamb legs (about 6 pounds), bone-in and inject them 6 or 7 hours before going on the smoker. They smoke for about 5 or 6 hours and this is the color I'm looking for when wrapping. I prefer my lamb in the 135° to 140 range, but I'll take it into the 160° when serving a larger group. The injection helps with keeping it moist and it's held in a hot box, so that helps too.

cykDp0d.jpg

Last year the order got goofed up and we got boneless, and the general consensus was we liked the bone-in better.

fsXoLT9.jpg

Smoked my first lamb roast over the holidays. 225° , took about 5 hrs to reach a IT of 135°. Came out fantastic.

Hot and fast for me. Say 350-400. I like 135 but 145-150 is still good.

Brush with butter/lemon juice/garlic vinaigrette and one green herb (oregano, thyme, tarragon, parsley etc) for the last 15-20 minutes.

Now we’re getting somewhere. Can’t wait to smoke one of these babies. Is lamb tough like brisket ? Meaning, u have to cook it a long time to make it tender...I know some people like it medium rare like steak.
Blake- Think there’s a difference when u cook it hot and fast or is that how you cook all of your meats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blake- Think there’s a difference when u cook it hot and fast or is that how you cook all of your meats?...

Pork/Brisket/Clod around 275
Chicken around 350
Lamb 350+

So yes and yes. :grin:

I like some char on lamb, but also like most of the slice to be rare to medium rare. Higher temps give me the balance that I like.

If you are going big piece and looking to cook low and slow to a high internal heat go goat or mutton instead of lamb. Cheaper and more suited to that approach. I do a low and slow goat leg with a Moroccan mop that comes out freaking amazing. I have the advantage of having a halal butcher just up the street and they always have a fresh supply of goat coming in and I can go into the cooler and choose a leg I want taken off of one of their sides.

If you are going big piece and looking to cook low and slow to a high internal heat go goat or mutton instead of lamb. Cheaper and more suited to that approach.

Goat is awesome, similar in taste to lamb, maybe just a bit gamier. Check your local Mexi-Mart, that's where I get it from.

If you want low and slow, you should consider a shoulder / forequarter of lamb. It has the fat content you require and it will not dry out. It needs to be taken to a fairly high IT and you can pull it if you want. A leg is generally a hot and fast proposition with a much lower IT as suggested above. I've rested a leg of lamb at 115F IT! Too rare for some but I like it like that.

Not saying you can't get a good result with a high IT but it is more likely to be dry and tough.

Seasoning... I like to keep it simple with cracked black pepper, salt and celery seed. This combo really matches the flavor of lamb well. Also, Todd's Dirt is very nice too if you can get any. It's pretty much made for lamb.

Good luck with it.

Yeah, I raised lambs, and the only thing I eat now are the chops from Costco -
I can't abide a tiny smell of mutton, and too often 'lamb' here is no such thing,
it's mutton pure and simple. Even Costco legs smell bad to me.
But I'm picky.

Yeah, I raised lambs, and the only thing I eat now are the chops from Costco -
I can't abide a tiny smell of mutton, and too often 'lamb' here is no such thing,
it's mutton pure and simple. Even Costco legs smell bad to me.
But I'm picky.

I get you with this. The markets are different here and in the US. We hardly ever find mutton now. It's all spring lamb or 2 year old. Nothing over 4 years in general unless you go to certain Halal stores and specifically ask for it. As such, it's a lost flavor here. Personally, I prefer it, but for stews and curries as the flavor is much deeper and more complex... and yeah... a little stinky too.

Basically, you don't do with Mutton what you would do with yearling lamb in general and if you do, then that might be why you don't like it.

Find yourself a good south asian / Indian curry recipe and go low and slow in a CI pot. Worth the wait.

Back