MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:25 AM   #2476
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotn11 View Post
Don't know if this is the right place to ask!
I'm looking for a used LSG IVS, I'm in Texas! I've read this thread and love it!
I have a LSG Offset 24x40 and enjoy it but tired of baby sitting all night long on long smokes! I am selling it and will used the money for the IVS!
Anyone selling or know anyone selling or wanting to trade for an LSG IVS, please let me know!
Thanks for any response!
Michael in San Antonio!
List yours here and search here also.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Bottom left corner of page. You may select how far back you want to look.
There is one for sale right now

Last edited by ebijack; 12-16-2019 at 04:37 AM..
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #2477
afb91
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Andres

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakov View Post
Thank you all for such informative posts. Helped me to decide on the LSG Mini. Had it for a week now and so glad. Smoked a 10 lb pork butt, 20 7-8 oz smoked sockeye salmon fillets to great mouthwatering success. Next up will be two spatchcocked 18lb turkeys.

I am brand new to smoking and you all gave such great advice that really reduced my startup time and learning curve. Can't imagine a pork butt being so good on my first try. Can't wait until I grow into the full capabilities of the Mini.

Haven't been fully able to maintain steady temperatures as yet but I think the pictures on page 147 showing the plate setup will be quite beneficial in solving that issue going forward. Am using the Fireboard with fan control.

Let me say that the LSG Mini arrived in beautiful condition, exceeded my expectations, and Chris and the LSG staff were truly excellent to work with. A 600lb smoker on standard wheels rolls and maneuvers so easily on our paver patio and walk way. I could not be more pleased.

My wife uses our Mak pellet grill (which we love BTW). We find it hard to maintain steady temperatures when the wind is blowing (and it blows here quite a bit). Also a bit limited in amount of food we can grill/smoke but it does things (grill) that the Mini doesn't. On the other hand, the Mini gives us a lot more food capability and seems impervious to the wind. My wife was a bit jealous when the pork butt in the Mini, my first ever smoking effort, turned out better than hers in the past. Actually, I think she enjoys me taking over that chore.

Again thank you all for such great advice, so much appreciated. If anyone is looking for a great smoker, the LSG Mini is proving to be a great choice.

Hey brother so glad you're enjoying it I got my large in october and the thing is a beast. I have smoked in 20 degree weather and even in snow already and the thing purrs along. I have had some issues with it overshooting with my guru and the damper settings chris recommends but I have been able to overcome that with a few strategic methods. I am waiting on a grill cover at the moment that is being made. These things are awesome and so is this thread lets keep it alive.
afb91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #2478
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

I have a couple questions for those of you who revisit this thread. Is this smoker (mini or large) portable enough to use in competitions? I know they are extremely heavy so I was wondering. Also, what is the capacity for the mini and large? Would you recommend the off-road package if needing to roll on grass? Thanks.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #2479
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
I have a couple questions for those of you who revisit this thread. Is this smoker (mini or large) portable enough to use in competitions? I know they are extremely heavy so I was wondering. Also, what is the capacity for the mini and large? Would you recommend the off-road package if needing to roll on grass? Thanks.
I have taken my large to competitions. It is heavy, but not that hard to get on a trailer. I took 4th out of 85 teams in brisket with it. I don't have the tie down hooks either. I did upgrade to the bigger casters after a couple of years of having it. They are nice.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #2480
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
You could do like Kaptain Kadian says about going to upgraded wheels.
Or go to HF and buy 8 of the same size wheels that would come on said unit. Some new longer bolts/nuts/washers and you have dual (or triple) wheels per corner. The larger foot print and spreading of the load does make a difference. Also stabilizes the unit much better.
Just a thought.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #2481
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I have taken my large to competitions. It is heavy, but not that hard to get on a trailer. I took 4th out of 85 teams in brisket with it. I don't have the tie down hooks either. I did upgrade to the bigger casters after a couple of years of having it. They are nice.
Did you upgrade to the 8" casters or the off road package? Did that make it so that it will roll on grass?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #2482
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Did you upgrade to the 8" casters or the off road package? Did that make it so that it will roll on grass?
I did the 8 inch castors. I haven't tried to roll it on grass yet. I keep 2 sheets of plywood and use them to roll it from the backyard to the front.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #2483
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Making a trip to Willis Saturday to pickup my new Mini on a reversed comp cart. Can't wait to get it home and get it seasoned and start cooking on it. Have and HEB Prime brisket thawed and just waiting for a smoke bath. Hopefully the weather will corporate.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #2484
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
Making a trip to Willis Saturday to pickup my new Mini on a reversed comp cart. Can't wait to get it home and get it seasoned and start cooking on it. Have and HEB Prime brisket thawed and just waiting for a smoke bath. Hopefully the weather will corporate.
Congrats on the new cooker, you're going to love it.
Can't wait to hear about the brisket cook!
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #2485
afb91
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Andres

Quote:
I have 100% get the off road if you plan on rolling on grass. I have a patio made of bricks and if I did not have the off road package it would be a nightmare to roll around in my backyard. I'm moving to my new house on saturday and I am 100% thankful that I have the off road or else I would not even be able to roll it on my grass. I have done this many times and unless you put plywood sheets down every time you have to move it, it would be an absolute nightmare. I love my large but it is overwhelming to maneuver and the offroad makes it a breeze!
afb91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #2486
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

I did a ton of research recently on the manufactures you mentioned and when I crunched the numbers on cost, cooking space, specs, shipping charges, etc. the LSG 20x42 ended up being the best bang for the buck. Obviously they are all phenomenal cookers but LSG got my vote and that's what I'll be going with.
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #2487
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Default Night train

After a 350 mile round trip let me introduce the newest member of my smoker arsenal, Night train. It will be my primary smoker for over night cooks. Got to see the prototype of the pellet grill and it will be a fantastic cooker. Chris said they are shooting for March to get it on the market but that all depends on the builder of the PID controller getting it finished. Also saw another little project they are working on for their stick burners that should be well received when it is released. Well on to the pictures. To late to season today so will get that done tomorrow and smoke some sausage and fatties. Brisket will just have to keep wet aging until next week end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13410EA7-4FF6-45E3-BB5D-48A249304DE9.jpg (44.2 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg 7C1A2BD1-C1EB-418A-A453-AF234C11DD33.jpg (45.0 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg 73D65A67-546B-4652-8ABC-B94D541C1534.jpg (78.5 KB, 382 views)
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #2488
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
After a 350 mile round trip let me introduce the newest member of my smoker arsenal, Night train. It will be my primary smoker for over night cooks.
Congrats. You won't be disappointed.
[URL="http://aekellerfoundation.org"]http://aekellerfoundation.org[/URL]
Eads Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #2489
WeldonG
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Weldon

I have the LSG large cabinet and couldn't imagine moving it without the offroad package

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
WeldonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #2490
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Same here. Offroad package is a jump in price but boy am I glad I did it. Now I'm looking for a trailer to load it into....
BuffaloDave is offline   Reply With Quote