MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjess View Post
Can I use JB weld around the air intakes to seal them up real good just incase of air leaks?
Or a tube of high temp silicone, probably just as good if not better heat resistance.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
scottjess
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84

What about this stuff? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UO5htW_7J0k

Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Can I use JB weld around the air intakes to seal them up real good just incase of air leaks?
Don't bother. Use it a couple of times and it will gunk up nicely down there.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
scottjess
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Don't bother. Use it a couple of times and it will gunk up nicely down there.
I like that idea :P

Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

I use only use lump and can usually set the temp. and forget it for atleast 12 hours. Just light half or less of a chimney and let the temp slowly close to the set temp and close the ball valve until you see the temp start to settle down. It should remain steady for a very long time.

The only time I have problems holding temp if I start to much lump at the beginning or when I had my webber lid out of round and it leaked air really bad.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #21
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
What do you mean by chasing temps? I was adjusting the ball valve a fair bit as this was the first time cooking with the adjustable valve, my last UDS I just had 3 magnets.
Chasing temps is really over compensation and not knowing your smoker.

For example, you fill it up with briquettes add too many lit coals and open all 3 valves to get it started, the temp soars so you panic and shut all the valves, the temp slowly drops, but then it gets too low so you panic again and open all 3 valves up, the temp soars again so you shut them down, and the cycle keeps repeating itself.

Once you get to know your uds, how many lit coals to put in, and how much to open the valves it is pretty much set it and forget it for at least 10-12 hours.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
What do you mean by chasing temps? I was adjusting the ball valve a fair bit as this was the first time cooking with the adjustable valve, my last UDS I just had 3 magnets.
Always allow a good 25-30 minutes between intake adjustments. You have to give the uds time to react.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I have to admit that when I first started cooking with my UDS I probably looked like a monkey trying to position myself on a football with love on my mind. As many have said before, you must show patience Grasshopper and listen to what the barrel is trying to tell you. Learn what makes your smoker happy.
DO NOT try to position yourself onto your smoker.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote