Extra long bandera heat baffle

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
When I made the heat baffle for my bandera, I decided to try making the baffle a little wider than suggested. The baffle extends about 7 inches into the smoke chamber or about 1/3 of the way.

The result? The left side of the pit is about 5 degrees hotter on the left side. Which works out pretty well for brisket as I can put the thick side on the left and the thin side towards the right. Usually, the briskets are wider, so they are put at a diagonal across the shelf.

The left side of the pit is about 5 degrees hotter on the left side.
I'm guessing you meant to say, left is warmer than the right. This being the case, couldn't you even that out by trimming an inch or two off the end of the long baffle?

kcquer said:
I'm guessing you meant to say, left is warmer than the right. This being the case, couldn't you even that out by trimming an inch or two off the end of the long baffle?

Or drilling some 3/4 inch holes in it so some smoke escapes up the right side.

kcquer said:

Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts. I am keenly interested to know if a 5 inch baffle or thereabouts would be an optimal heat distribution length.

G$ said:
Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts. I am keenly interested to know if a 5 inch baffle or thereabouts would be an optimal heat distribution length.

Only a biscuit test will tell!!!!

Yes, I meant to say the left side is hotter than the right. It is most noticeable on the lower shelves. The upper shelf tends to be more even. I did a biscuit test the other night. The 2 upper shelves, there was not much difference.

jgh1204 said:
Yes, I meant to say the left side is hotter than the right. It is most noticeable on the lower shelves. The upper shelf tends to be more even. I did a biscuit test the other night. The 2 upper shelves, there was not much difference.
It makes sense that it evens out near the top. Are you going to leave it like that or try to adjust it out by trimming?

Hmmm, like jgh said "I hate to show my ineptitude" neither. Does anyone make the baffle for those of us who are not chinry inclined? Great with tronics and computers but can screw up metal, wood plastic, etc faster than my yungons can!!! vbmenu_register("postmenu_221085", true); :cool: PM me if so!

LDOJYD said:
Hmmm, like jgh said "I hate to show my ineptitude" neither. Does anyone make the baffle for those of us who are not chinry inclined? Great with tronics and computers but can screw up metal, wood plastic, etc faster than my yungons can!!! vbmenu_register("postmenu_221085", true); :cool: PM me if so!

Shoot a PM to Jalapeno (Chris). He fabricated my baffle and he may have some extras.

jgh1204 said:
When I made the heat baffle for my bandera, I decided to try making the baffle a little wider than suggested. The baffle extends about 7 inches into the smoke chamber or about 1/3 of the way.

The result? The left side of the pit is about 5 degrees hotter on the left side. Which works out pretty well for brisket as I can put the thick side on the left and the thin side towards the right. Usually, the briskets are wider, so they are put at a diagonal across the shelf.

I did the same thing using thick copper sheeting. Brought it strait in and cut the top out for the radius of the water pan. After a few burns I could see the left side was a bit too hot compared to the right. I trimed some to even the temps out.

I think I am going to keep it that way. I smoke a lot of brisket and I will keep the thick side on the left.

I have a "heat plate" as suggested by Trout Man instead of a baffle. I could have sworn that I had a pic of it but cant find it now for looking. Heres a pic of the side of my Bandera after the refurb and you can see the stainless rods laying in the pic. I used the rods in 2 of the holes instead of bolts then laid a plate of steel on top of the rods.

Attachments

• new metal on main chamber.jpg
    new metal on main chamber.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 147
Here it is. I knew I had this pic. Note the Crisco smeared on the unit for seasoning.

Attachments

• new plate before seasoning.jpg
    new plate before seasoning.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 108
Cat Butt

Where the hell does the water pan go?

The small baffle doesnt work without the water pan, but it looks like you've eliminated the pan.

Is that so?

The water pan fits nicely in its holders and rests right on top of the plate.

Back