MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
traumanurse13
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default My new Weber Smokey Mountain

I just got a new WSM, and can't wait to fire it up. Any suggestions on prepping/curing? Always used a Brinkman Side box smoker, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook a butt, best seasoning for a new WSM imho.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats...you're gonna love it! I suggest a pork butt or two for your first smoke...fill the charcoal ring to the brim, and rock and roll baby! Have fun!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
nrok2118
Full Fledged Farker

Hopefully you know of the minion method, if not google it. From there its pretty easy. And yes a second breaking her in with a butt or two

Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
kirk fortin
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Wsm

Check out the virtual weber bullet webpage/site...its pretty useful Weber Smokey Mountain...Your neighbors are gonna be really happy or really pist off...depending if they get any of the food that is! LOL
kirk fortin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Congrats...you're gonna love it! I suggest a pork butt or two for your first smoke...fill the charcoal ring to the brim, and rock and roll baby! Have fun!
Ditto!

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk fortin View Post
Check out the virtual weber bullet webpage/site...its pretty useful Weber Smokey Mountain...Your neighbors are gonna be really happy or really pist off...depending if they get any of the food that is! LOL
I think there is a whole bunch of great WSM info right here on the good ol' Brethren!

Traumanurse, here is a write up that I did a while back on using the Minion Method.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

Because the WSM is coated in and out you really don't need to do any seasoning. It will cook hotter for the first few cooks so just keep that in mind.

A butt is a great first cook since they are very forgiving if the temp swings. If you're not up to a long cook then a couple of fatties (naked, of course) and a spatchcocked chicken are good choices.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
glh17
Full Fledged Farker

I wanted to keep my first cook fairly short and simple so I went with beer can chicken. I'm not sure if it matters that much but if you feel confident enough I'd give butts a try.
glh17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumanurse13 View Post
I just got a new WSM, and can't wait to fire it up. Any suggestions on prepping/curing? Always used a Brinkman Side box smoker, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Learn the minion method and don't worry if the new smoker runs a bit high for the first few cooks. It's part of the seasoning process, once everything is nice and gooey, that cooker should be broken in and sealed.

FYI, 225 is NOT the magic number. If the WSM wants to settle in @ 260-300, just let it roll.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Outstanding!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
caseydog

Lots of good advice, so far.

The WSM doesn't need a lot of seasoning. however, you do need to cook out the oils and such that come from manufacturing -- or wash them out with dish soap (Dawn) and water.

I got good results on my very first cook, which was a few racks of spares. A pork butt is another good first cook. Fatty meats are good to start with, IMO.

Get it up to temperature for a while before you put any meat in it for the first time, just to make sure no funkiness is in there. I used nothing but charcoal for the first 30 minutes or so, and sniffed around it a lot, to be absolutely sure I didn't smell burning oil or other unnatural smells. Then, I added my smoking wood and started my cooking.

I may have gone overboard, but the food was good on my first cook, so if I went overboard, I can live with that.

After the first cook, I mixed my smoking wood chunks in with my charcoal. Like others have mentioned, I use the Minion method. That method is perfect for a WSM.

Other than that, just pay attention and learn. You should get good food on the first cook, but the more you use your WSM, the easier it will be to get good results. You should get more and more comfortable with every cook.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've got at 18.5" and love it. I seasoned it with this tasty fattie http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...38&postcount=1

You will love the WSM. It is a great product that produces awesome and repeatable stuff!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
traumanurse13
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks, I tried the Minion method and can't see cooking any other way. It worked great. Maintained a good constant temperature throughout. No bad flavor at all. I will continue to use it.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumanurse13 View Post
Thanks, I tried the Minion method and can't see cooking any other way. It worked great. Maintained a good constant temperature throughout. No bad flavor at all. I will continue to use it.
Yep, it is ideal for the WSM. I'm glad you are getting good results from your new toy.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Of you've been using a COS in the past, this WSM will be a breeze for you. Set and forget!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote