bb's, spares, potatoes au gratin and baked beans

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i haven't cooked ribs in a while, so i decided to do some yesterday. i did a rack of baby backs and a rack of st. louis cut spares. the bb's cost twice as much as the spares. wtf.

i found both recipes on the internet...

the beans were....

6 slices bacon, halved
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
1 medium green pepper, cut into small dice
3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup distilled or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients). Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.

i followed a "ruth's chris potatoes au gratin" recipe, but i added a half a cup and a second kind of cheese......

3 to 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch slices, then quarter each of those slices.
3. Beat together the cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper by hand just until well combined.
4. Coat the inside of a large baking dish with the softened butter.
5. Arrange one-fourth of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Pour some of the cream mixture over the potatoes. Repeat this layering step three more times.
6. Cover the potatoes and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 40 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to brown on top.
7. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top of the potatoes and continue to bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the potatoes are tender.
8. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve

i cooked the ribs at about 290 for about four hours and i never checked on them, so i overcooked them just a bit. they were very juicy, just a bit more tender than usual.

these were the spares. i didn't get a picture of the full slab of bb's.

Looks great, Jason! Thanks for posting that tater recipe! Gonna have to try that, ASAP!!

Looks great, Jason! Thanks for posting that tater recipe! Gonna have to try that, ASAP!!

they were super super easy pat. i'd easily recommend them.

on the beans, i think next time, i'll add a little heat, either in the form of a couple jalapenos or some habanero powder.

Back