The Q-Shelter build is going down this weekend!

There’s no way to embed those blocks in concrete. Besides we can see the bottom. In addition those blocks do not have mechanical attachment to the posts, the posts just fit into an indent. Even if the blocks were embedded there is zero uplift resistance.

As you’ve started to suggest the correct tie down is a foundation 18-24” deep with hold down post anchors embedded. Those anchors are then bolted to the posts. They also sell bases that get anchored into the foundation then bolted to the post. Both provide uplift capacities.

This configuration is almost as bad as it can be. The building and the fence effectively stop wind that blows in the front from escaping. This increases the pressure upward exponentially. Without a fence or building it is still a sail and needs holddowns, but those enclosures really hurt.

Things are built like this all the time and survive for a long time. However, when that gust comes the results can be not pretty. I’ve seen pergolas without roofs picked up and moved - I am assuming this will have a solid roof.

I appreciate your concern.

There are 6 ground anchors in which are connected to the 6 vertical posts.
Roof panels will fly off before the shelter goes anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your concern.

There are 6 ground anchors in which are connected to the 6 vertical posts.
Roof panels will fly off before the shelter goes anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind the structure can rack and literally lay over, seen this happen to neighbor that used this anchoring system, make sure to use cross bracing on the sides and back to prevent this.

Keep in mind the structure can rack and literally lay over, seen this happen to neighbor that used this anchoring system, make sure to use cross bracing on the sides and back to prevent this.

Yes, 2-force members, to support wind loads and gravity. :wink:

Think about old school railroad trestles or corner posts on a barb wire fence.

Coming along...

293a65cb2524834067c6fe428a965042.jpg

58af669d5eb17526f63206581fe21cdb.jpg

cff6cfc969dc0f0e267ab88b0b52be4e.jpg

150570262e8a3551908aea82b3e14e18.jpg

As you’ve started to suggest the correct tie down is a foundation 18-24” deep with hold down post anchors embedded. Those anchors are then bolted to the posts. They also sell bases that get anchored into the foundation then bolted to the post. Both provide uplift capacities.

Yes sir!

You can see in this the photo the helical ground anchor that is lagged to the post. The anchor is 3” diameter and 36” in the ground. The “ground” is 8 tons of crushed limestone hardened with concrete.
These are two of these massive ground anchors at the center posts and 30” ground anchors connected directly to the 4 corner posts with aircraft cable.

120ce6b5837e114734d89173f337eff6.jpg

Brethren helping Brethren is what its all about!
That structure is looking great and from the description aint going nowhere. Nice to have that covered area to sit, enjoy and put your cook on; which it looks like you already did with them Bones!
Looking forward to the finished project, its going to be great!!

I see zero cross bracing. Plus I think you'll be unhappy tracking that wet stone dust everywhere. You'll see.
BUT - I am a fan of your Q-Salt and gave friends the Hot Salt so I am on your side!!!

Back