• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulled Chicken

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have a request to do pulled chicken for 150 people. They want brisket and pulled chicken and I have the brisket figured out but I have never done pulled chicken only whole, wings, etc. I'm figuring 4oz per meat since its two meats. How many lbs of chicken do I need?

The easiest way to do pulled chicken is to buy boneless skinless thighs, throw them in a pan with some rub and a little butter, and smoke away til done. You'll end up with minimal loss, like 20%. I usually do a separate pan of breasts as well (just so I can make sure they don't get overcooked), and then mix it all together when I'm pulling.

It's slightly more expensive than doing quarters, but the time and waste savings are more than worth it.

I usually do 70% dark meat and 30% white meat.

I cook pulled pork and shredded chicken regularly for 80. Two butts and 6 chickens - spatchcocked or not. Chicken always runs out first. So for 150, it would make sense to double the chicken.

We use boneless skinless leg meat. It is thicker than the thighs and smokes up well. Rub, smoke and then cover with Film, then foil. Let rest, then it shreds very easily. I get about a 70% yield on the product and people go crazy.

So I did some math yesterday and please tell me if I'm wrong. 4oz per person times 150 people is 600oz. Comes out to 37.5lbs of chicken cooked. If a typical chicken weighs in at 3.5lbs that would mean roughly that I need 11 whole chickens. Is my math correct here?

So I did some math yesterday and please tell me if I'm wrong. 4oz per person times 150 people is 600oz. Comes out to 37.5lbs of chicken cooked. If a typical chicken weighs in at 3.5lbs that would mean roughly that I need 11 whole chickens. Is my math correct here?

You need to double that...you're not taking into account weight loss due to bones/skin/etc. Weight loss from a whole chicken is going to be at least 50% (if not more).

For 1/4 pound servings here's the way I figure it:
150 servings/4: 37.5 pounds cooked
37.5 x 2 : 75 pounds raw
75 / 3.5 pounds per chicken: 21 chickens.

Back