Brats

VitaminQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I ground out about 5 lbs of brats last night- sausage making is hard work! I ended up stuffing them through the coarse plate, 'cause the fine plate was taking too long. They're not too shabby for my first attempt, if I do say so myself. I used one of the recipes from the files section of the site- from that huge pdf of sausage recipes. I'll have to print out the rest of it at work today . . .

VQ, sounds good. When you say brats though, is the filling very fine, or more of a course texture? I guess you used natural skins? Pictures?

I would suggest doing all the grinding, mixing and allow them to set overnight in frig to allow the spice to do their thing. When stuffing take the grinding plate out and just run sausage throught the stuffing horn, makes the job much easier.

xczar: The filling is a little coarse, but not too bad all things considered. The wife has got the camera as she's visiting her family in TX, so I don't have any pics. I'll get pics of the next batch for sure.

Jim: Thanks for the tips; I was wondering about just taking the grinding plate out. The guy at the butcher shop where I picked up the casings said to grind through the fine plate, which is why I tried it. It seemed to be getting clogged up with connective tissue that wouldn't quite go through. I'd probably be a lot better off grinding through the fine plate solo, then taking it off and stuffing.
I've got a few jalapenos coming on in the garden. I might try some hot links . . .

Back