MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Chicken for Family and Friends

Forget the competition stuff.
What do you prefer for flavor and presentation for family and friends when cooking at home. Example: Grilled vs smoked, legs , thighs, breasts, wings, beef, lamb, pork, venison, wild game, etc. (Party food), rubs you like and/or no sauce . Sauce just on the side or glazed for a few minutes on the smoker. For home we are absolutely after flavor and just curious what the folk here like to do. This post is about what people like so don't post if you are going to be critical of someone's preference. I know I will learn something here. Thanks all.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I am all about chicken thighs, but, certain members of my family prefer breasts, so when we are cooking, it is whole chickens. When I am alone, just thighs. My favorite thing is roasted chicken, with BBQ rub, whatever is not running low. I have a basic rub that I augment with sage or poultry seasoning and dry mustard when I am not being lazy. Then throw them on the kettle, lately I have been doing high heat with them, 450F or so, about an hour.

I make a killer teriyaki chicken as well, but, honestly it is not my go to chicken dish, it takes more preparation time and the flavor is a little much for normal eating.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Well at home here for Family and Friends, we like to smoke and grill, depends on the food. We like to rub and smoke most meats. and then a little sauce for glaze. and then sauce on the side,, I prefer to not sauce pulled pork. Some like it sweet and tangy, some like it very bold. so we put our own sauce on in the bun. Brats and sausage we like to grill. Chicken we normally smoke or cook indirectly with a lite rub, and then glaze a lil..Sounds kinda a normal to me,,but we all like things different....
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Meat Burner

Bushwacker, appreciate your response and on other threads. Suggestion...loose the bold blue italics...it is anoying (sp). No offence brother.

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi Meat,
Our families and friends favorite has been, Mel's special chicken. Mel is my dad and this is his recipe and people can't get enough of it. It is grilled and seems like it won't work out but test it once and you will be hooked as well. I prefer thighs and my wife prefers breasts so this works for all chicken parts and whole as well. Fist you lightly salt and pepper and garlic powder one side and put the seasoned side down on the grill and salt, pepper and garlic powder the other side. Let this cook 10 minutes and turn and season with salt and garlic powder only and cook 10 minutes. turn season with salt and garlic powder and cook ten minutes. Do this for one hour total and the last seasoned include pepper again. That is it. Good Luck!!!
Weber 22.5"
MAB52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Meat Burner

Mike, a lot of techniques call for turning only one time which I am sure works great for what they are cooking on and the spices used. For us, just like what you like to do, several turns and add spices on each step seems to be our favorite. Even when applying sauce. Coat and turn, coat and turn. When you say grilled. are you referring to direct over the coals the whole time?

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, and a great addition is some rosemary one time on each side at the beginning.
Weber 22.5"
MAB52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Meat Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB52 View Post
Yep, and a great addition is some rosemary one time on each side at the beginning.
Excellent herb!

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

We tend to be very busy with 3 teenagers in sports so not much time for long cooks. Chicken is either thighs some seasoning like garlic, onion, turmeric, sage sauce on top. Breasts are usually marinaded in Lowery's marinade and both are indirect grilled. Sunday's are usually pork butt, ribs, country ribs, chops, etc. Indirect grilled sauce on top. Friday is pizza day, sometimes home made sometimes frozen. Depends on Dad's mood. Friday is my only time off from the kitchen.

When entertaining spare ribs rubbed indirect grilled sauce on top and maybe hamburgers and hotdogs. Otherwise Chinese, Italian, Mexican all depends what's on sale. Take all the above and roll the dice.

I did my first serious smoke of a pork butt a few weeks ago after spending time on with the brethren. Came out excellent. Yes I did happen prons exist but not posted yet.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
BBQ Grail

Usually grilled breasts and thighs around our house for the quick dinners. Keep it simple with Yardbird rub.

For the longer cooks brined and smoked spatchcock chicken is the preferred method.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
bigabyte

Everyone except me in my family wants only breasts, so we do those. I do whole birds on occasion and store the dark leftovers or gift it to other family/friends. Everyone likes it smoked hot (about 375) with mild smoke from a bed of lump and a few wood coals from a strong flavored wood like hickory or even mesquite. The family goes ape over that stuff.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

If it's just me I'll cook thighs with either jerk seasoning, or use the Roadside Chicken marinade/method (direct, turning and basting often).

My wife and son prefer white meat, so if we're all eating it's usually whole birds. I'll marinate in zesty italian dressing, spatchcock, rub with Plowboy's Yardbird and cook indirect with a small chunk of cherry thrown on the lump.

If I have a little more time I'll brine the bird a day or two ahead of time, dry, stuff the cavity with chopped onions, apples, herbs, and a little rub and olive oil, truss it up, coat the skin and the meat under the skin with a little oil and rub, and cook it on the kettle using the rotisserie - that's what I did on Monday and (if I must say so myself) it was tasty!

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
bassbuster33
On the road to being a farker

Chicken at our house is generally roasted beer butt style. We like a variety of rubs, lemon pepper, Old Bay or any BBQ rub I am goofing around with. Typically it's lemon pepper or Old Bay. Sometimes I smoke sometimes not.

One particular seasoning mix we like is mustard, worcestershire sauce, garlic power, onion powder, black pepper, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and cayenne pepper. If I am cooking the bird in the oven I'll often substitute chipotle chile powder instead of the cayenne.
bassbuster33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

When I am doing the quick weeknight thing I usually keep it pretty simple...marinade in Lowery's Baja Chipotle and then direct grill. I typically only flip once, and I don't usually baste them during cooking. When I am doing a bigger whole family party type thing, I will typically go ahead and do the comp thighs.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #15
SteveG13
Found some matches.

I prefer chicken thighs and ribs because they are easiest to prep and cook for some of the younger, fussier eaters in the family. i use ken's zesty italian dressing dressing on the chicken about 24hrs before i put them on the smoker. some racks of ribs i use a light rub and others i marinate in bbq sauce beforehand.
SteveG13 is offline   Reply With Quote