MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Default I'm Feeling Nervous.. and Lumpy!

Not only is tomorrow Father's Day, but it's also my twin boys' first birthday (best Father's Day gift ever!). To kill two birds with one stone, we're having friends and family over for a bbq. I have 20lbs worth of Boston Butts and when I pull those to sit in the ice chest, I'll be filling the UDS with pork shots. There will be about 17-18 adults and several kids, one of the adults being my dad who has heard the hype surrounding my bbq, but has never tried it.

For the first time ever, I bought a bag of lump charcoal (Royal Oak, it was the best I could find). I've always been wanting to try lump, after all these years, but just never got around to it. It seems most people using lump in their UDS don't really notice much different in the process, but I still can't help but me nervous by getting away from the norm, especially with so much of my reputation (and $100 worth of food) at stake.

The butts are injected with my own variation of Chris Lilly's injection and will get rubbed soon. I'll put them on the UDS around 3-4 AM so that their ready for the party tomorrow afternoon.

Wish me luck!!
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
campdude
Babbling Farker

Don't stress out. Just do what you always do and enjoy the cook and the day.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Rather than stress, just use charcoal. Try the lump when there is less pressure and enjoy your day.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Bludawg

Pack the basket with lump &4-5 chunks of wood light 20 briquettes dump the briquettes on lump. Me are the vtop off the drum until yr therm hits 175. Put the valid on and dial in your temp.I do it just like this I am at temp with TBS in 20 min.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got my basket packed fairly tightly with 80/20 lump/briqs (plus peach wood), that way I have the best of both worlds. I have enough KB if I need to bail and go with what I know works. I have the same ratio of a few briqs and some smaller bits of lump. I'm excited. These things sound like little tiny Christmas bells.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
AaronPo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
I've got my basket packed fairly tightly with 80/20 lump/briqs (plus peach wood), that way I have the best of both worlds. I have enough KB if I need to bail and go with what I know works. I have the same ratio of a few briqs and some smaller bits of lump. I'm excited. These things sound like little tiny Christmas bells.
Sounds like a plan man! You'll grow to love the lump I'm sure. I've found that the lump responds to intake adjustments much quicker than briq's so be mindful of that! Things you have to look forward too, better taste, way way way less ash and quite a bit of reusable charcoal when your cook is through!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

My experience with lump in my uds is that the lump tends to burn hotter and is much more sensitive to the air intake. Not a problem, but just be aware that it will be different from the briqs, and adjust as necessary. For me, there was not a lot of flavor difference that I could detect. Good luck and Happy Father's day-Birthday celebration.

Blessings,

Omar

Old 06-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

I WON'T change anything for tomorrow party! Maybe another day....
By the way I'm really interested in your Chris Lilly's variation....... And at what T will you cook?

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
My experience with lump in my uds is that the lump tends to burn hotter and is much more sensitive to the air intake. Not a problem, but just be aware that it will be different from the briqs, and adjust as necessary. For me, there was not a lot of flavor difference that I could detect. Good luck and Happy Father's day-Birthday celebration.

Blessings,

Omar
^^^This^^^ Since you have a mixture it will be more stable re: temp swings. I like to mix lump and bricks myself. You will be very happy with your results tomorrow! Have a fun day and relax.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
SmittyJonz

I like Briquetts better in my UDS - temps more stable for longer time.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #11
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

If your that nervous - then maybe today is not the day to swap from what you know.
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Sometimes being a father is about taking risks! I say you show those two boys how to conquer your fears! Light that bad boy and be their HERO!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

LOL! You're breaking one of the biggest rules. You never try something new on a big occasion for a crowd.

HOWEVER, if you follow the advice here you'll be golden. I would say to just keep an eye on the temps more-so than you would your usual cooks, but it looks like you will definitely be doing that anyway.

Have a great father's day and enjoy the birthday party!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
indy82z
On the road to being a farker

Only use RO Lump in my UDS..just be careful when you remove the lid to check or spritz or wrap, it climbs FAST!! I always have my wife do lid duty and grab the lid, I do what needs done and then she puts it right back down. I also (from recommendation here) close all intakes a minute before I remove lid. Otherwise, you will love the Lump, fast great temps and not much ash.

Good luck!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #15
dabirdz
Got Wood.

i have had great results with RO. my UDS gets a chimney of briquettes them RO on top, i can hold 6-8 hours of 275 with half a bag.

good luck with your cook!
dabirdz is offline   Reply With Quote