MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

Default Competition Pork

We've done the other 3 so I figure it's just a matter of time before some one starts a pork thread so I'll start.

Hello my name is Tom and my Butt stinks! I really need a 12 step program. I'm not sure what the judges are looking for. Here's what I do: I inject with Chris Lilly's injection about 4 - 6 hrs before it goes on. Rub just before it hits the smoker. Cook @ 230 ish to 165-170 foil, continue until the bone pulls free. Cooler for a couple hours & turn in lightly sauced thumb sized chunks from the monkey muscle.

My scores have been all over. I've thought about and tried adding slices - cook to about 170 sliced the monkey muscle. Is that a good idea?

Any help is appreciated - thanks
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you have any pics of your typical turn ins? What type of sauce are you using?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Black Cat BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA BBQ PIRATES View Post
We've done the other 3 so I figure it's just a matter of time before some one starts a pork thread so I'll start.

Hello my name is Tom and my Butt stinks! I really need a 12 step program. I'm not sure what the judges are looking for. Here's what I do: I inject with Chris Lilly's injection about 4 - 6 hrs before it goes on. Rub just before it hits the smoker. Cook @ 230 ish to 165-170 foil, continue until the bone pulls free. Cooler for a couple hours & turn in lightly sauced thumb sized chunks from the monkey muscle.

My scores have been all over. I've thought about and tried adding slices - cook to about 170 sliced the monkey muscle. Is that a good idea?

Any help is appreciated - thanks
you used the "f" word....
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Tom, I inject with Butchers blend and juice, rub and wrap in plastic about 6 hours prior to hitting the cooker. I cook till 170 then foil add some more juice and rest in a cooler. I have been slicing the money muscle and adding some pulled. I was probably in the bottom 1/3rd in BelAir with this box.
Sal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pork box prep.jpg (77.1 KB, 403 views)
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
VA BBQ PIRATES

Here's a box. I've used a couple different sauces. Tenn. Red, Blues Hog, Slabs. Is there a sauce you would recomend?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pork.jpg (122.4 KB, 404 views)

Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Tom - This video might be of some help as to the saucing and presentation.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Tom - How are you're presentation scores compared to taste/tenderness ?

From the looks of the box, I think you're on the right track.

I'd suggest considering the following

1) Don't leave the bottom right bare - Either center the slices and align more evenly or re-position elsewhere
2) Lightly sauce with Tenn Red or a thinned out traditional sauce w/ juice
Make the pork glisten
3) Chunks presentation is decent but get rid of some of those strands and make sure you have a consistent look of interal meat to bark showing (I think a 2:1 ratio works best. Strategically position each piece like a puzzle - Angle some, lay some vertically, diagonally etc. It gives the box character and prevents it from looking like it was just plopped in there.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Plowboy

Quote:
Here's a box. I've used a couple different sauces. Tenn. Red, Blues Hog, Slabs. Is there a sauce you would recomend?
Three GREAT sauces for pork.

Warning that this is going to be a shameless plug, but...

Try Plowboy's Yardbird Rub or Slab's pork rub with those sauces. They both pair well.

Presentation looks good in general. Nothing wrong with it.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I think the box looks okay but I'd certainly follow Vinny's advice.

Unless you've somehow figured out how to get great pieces from all over the butt or are using multiple butts for your selection, I'd suggest you limit your pulled pieces to the best 6-8 chunks from a butt. We sometimes go through 2 butts just to find 6 or 7 chunks good enough for the box. Every piece that we put into the box is hand selected to be uber tender, juicy, and has bark on it. We'll only pull from a couple of muscles around the bone and the money muscle. The rest is saved for scraps. If your tenderness scores from a table are all over the scale, it may be because some judges are getting dry or tough pulled pieces.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I'd suggest considering the following

1) Don't leave the bottom right bare - Either center the slices and align more evenly or re-position elsewhere
2) Lightly sauce with Tenn Red or a thinned out traditional sauce w/ juice
Make the pork glisten
3) Chunks presentation is decent but get rid of some of those strands and make sure you have a consistent look of interal meat to bark showing (I think a 2:1 ratio works best. Strategically position each piece like a puzzle - Angle some, lay some vertically, diagonally etc. It gives the box character and prevents it from looking like it was just plopped in there.
Vinny's advice is right on as far as I am concerned. My very first impression was that the box looked very good, but at second glance the meat looked a bit dry and needed to glisten to look moist.

Looks to me like you are very close to getting some high scores.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
We sometimes go through 2 butts just to find 6 or 7 chunks good enough for the box. Every piece that we put into the box is hand selected to be uber tender, juicy, and has bark on it. We'll only pull from a couple of muscles around the bone and the money muscle. The rest is saved for scraps.

Ding, ding, ding! But what do I know...

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

PHP Code:
DingdingdingBut what do I know... :cool
Yeas what do you know?!?

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
I think the box looks okay but I'd certainly follow Vinny's advice.

Unless you've somehow figured out how to get great pieces from all over the butt or are using multiple butts for your selection, I'd suggest you limit your pulled pieces to the best 6-8 chunks from a butt. We sometimes go through 2 butts just to find 6 or 7 chunks good enough for the box. Every piece that we put into the box is hand selected to be uber tender, juicy, and has bark on it. We'll only pull from a couple of muscles around the bone and the money muscle. The rest is saved for scraps. If your tenderness scores from a table are all over the scale, it may be because some judges are getting dry or tough pulled pieces.
That's great advice, Paul. My pork hasn't been quite where I want it this year but its had more to do with 1 or 2 off scores then what I'm cooking. I also think having Tom do my pork turn-in box would make a huge difference!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I always did terrible with pork, the best I ever did in a larger comp was 13th, we used hen and hog, with some blues hog and juice to thin it out. We got the sauce to a boil, dipped the pork and strained it to get the extra sauce off. Tasted good and looked like we hit it with some high gloss poly!
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 AM   #15
VA BBQ PIRATES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Tom - How are you're presentation scores compared to taste/tenderness ?
Presentation scores have been the highest of the 3 then tenderness then taste.

Thanks everyone. This gives me some ideas.

Tom