Contest Announcment Long Island Kosher BBQ Championship, Westbury NY, June 10th

M

marvinkosher

Long Island Kosher BBQ Championship, Westbury NY, June 10, 2012. First ever Kosher Championship on Long Island. You don't need to be Jewish, you don't need to have kosher experience. Brisket, Beef Ribs, Beans. Very level playing field...everything including 2 grills (Weber 22.5' One Touch Silver), meats, spices, sauces, utensils, charcoal etc.... is supplied. You can only use what is given to you. Lots of rules but what a challenge. www.likosherbbq.org

can you bring in anything to modify the Grill? What type of Charcoal? You supplying all clean-up, trash bags, ash tranport containers etc so that it truly is Kosher? If thats the case, you would just have to show up cook, leave right? The grills become the Contestants to own? WSM are avail? What size? Thanks

can you bring in anything to modify the Grill? What type of Charcoal? You supplying all clean-up, trash bags, ash tranport containers etc so that it truly is Kosher? If thats the case, you would just have to show up cook, leave right? The grills become the Contestants to own? WSM are avail? What size? Thanks

Go to their website and read. They answer all of your questions. After reading, I know we would not cook this contest.

Jimmy,
Grills are new Weber 22.5 One Touch Silver. No access to anyting else other than a firebrick to use, you cannot modify the grill. This is truly Kosher and we are supplying everything, including grill thermometers, instant read thermometers, chimneys and all utensils will be provided for everyone. And of course brisket, 2 racks of ribs, 2 lbs of beans and the pot to cook the beans in. All ingredients for your secret rubs or sauces can be found on our ingredients list which we will prepare for you and have ready when you arrive. Anything not on it that you may need we will try our best to get. Trash containers are available next to each contestant and we ask you to clean up after yourself but leave the grills for us to clean. Charcoal is not determined yet, either Kingsford or lump. Basically all you need to do is bring the matches. hope you find it interesting enough to be one of the founding teams.

Hi,

I'm sure that Marvin will jump in to correct me if need be, but I believe that they will pay your entry fee to the World Championships if you are the GC and I don't believe that you take home the grills, but they some of them may be part of the prize structure that is still being worked on.

I was really interested in Hava Na Grilla in PA. I'm glad that this is so close and I'm going to try to swing it. It looks unique, challenging and fun.

Eric

Last edited:
I'm gonna do my best to enter! I need to check my daughter's Grad date. After all I did Murray Lenders BBQ this past summer, I'm sure I can pull this off. I hope.

It says on the site the grills will be put away for next year's contest.

I see it notes "part of our proceeds will go to hunger relief charities right here on Long Island, including Long Island Cares, ”the INN” (Interfaith Nutrition Network), Hatzilu, Rock Can Roll and M’yad l’yad

That's cool..

Also looks like under $100 in provided meats and other supplies... Will the balance of remaining entry fee all go to the charities noted ?

I see it notes "part of our proceeds will go to hunger relief charities right here on Long Island, including Long Island Cares, ”the INN” (Interfaith Nutrition Network), Hatzilu, Rock Can Roll and M’yad l’yad

That's cool..

Also looks like under $100 in provided meats and other supplies... Will the balance of remaining entry fee all go to the charities noted ?

Vinny,
Costs of Kosher meats way exceeds $100 and is closer to $200. Also Weber Grills and cost of condiments brings it over the $250 entry fee; no money is made from the teams participating. Funds come from our Corporate Sponsors. Fairway Market is the title sponsor (PR release coming soon) along with Home Depot, Costco, and others mentioned on the website. Along with food sales from our cafe and fees from the hot dog eating contest, and basketball skills contest, all money is distributed to all the charities listed including the host, Temple Beth Torah of Westbury (501C Charity). This is a completely non-profit event and all donations are tax deductable.

It says on the site the grills will be put away for next year's contest.

Part of the rules of Kosher is that the equipment can ONLY be used for kosher products. Therefore we will store them and take them out next year so they can be used again as Kosher Grills.

Because they are good quality Weber's and we are only using them once a year...your grandkids could still be using them!

Hi,

I'm sure that Marvin will jump in to correct me if need be, but I believe that they will pay your entry fee to the World Championships if you are the GC and I don't believe that you take home the grills, but they some of them may be part of the prize structure that is still being worked on.

I was really interested in Hava Na Grilla in PA. I'm glad that this is so close and I'm going to try to swing it. It looks unique, challenging and fun.

Eric
100% correct. We pay your entry fee for Memphis. We are working on a prize structure that the winners in both Ribs and Brisket can each take the two grills with them. This is not confirmed yet (ever try working with committee's) but it is something everyone would like.... WAIT... I am going on the record and saying: Yes, the Winners of each meat category get two grills and the grand champion will get two grills also! Now, this is first come first served and we have about 10 slots left....really would like to get some 'masters' into this competition.

now your talkin'!

$250 entry fee and zero other expenses for 2 weber one touches. plus entry to the championship.

:thumb:

not to mention a really good way to spend a saturday in the city!

Great PR release today as Fairway Market announced they are the title sponsor for the LI Kosher BBQ Championship. Every championship can do so much more with a good sponsor and now this championship has a GREAT sponsor. Way to go Fairway Market.

The level of competition just shot up and we are thilled, honored and proud to announce our newest competitor: The Grill Souts, from right here on Long Island. Welcome!

Wow, the new media king....ours is moving, so the spots open :p

Back