• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Posting in the Comp Forum

Cook

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here's a good "unwritten" rule to consider...

If you post in the Competition Forum, you should add a postscript stating your best 5 competition finishes in relation to the topic at hand. You should also disclose if you are NOT a competition cook.

As an example: If the topic is specifically about chicken, and you respond to a question asked, list your top 5 chicken finishes/scores...or inform the OP and other responders that you do not cook competitions.

I feel this would greatly benefit the people who are trying to learn. A question asked (about chicken since that was the example above) can generate 20 different suggestions from 20 different forum members. Eight of the responses can be from home cooks who never intend on cooking competition, two responses could be from restaurant owners/employees, and 10 could be from actual competition cooks. Of those 10, eight may have never walked in chicken. That leaves two forum members who responded that have experience in scoring well with the protein in question. If you are looking to score well, those are the two you need to pay the most attention to.

This isn't to discredit anyone...I would be one of the responders that would disclose that I am not a competition cook...and my suggestions could/would be taken with a grain of salt, or at the reader's discretion. I just see this forum not as an "opinion" forum, but as a tool for those that want to do well to be able to learn from those that DO do well. This little "disclosure postscript" would be extremely helpful.

But seriously...you could be taking the advise of someone who scores in the bottom 20% at every competition they enter and not know it. That's helpful...

Goes through cycles. The nut hugging has gotten better, but in turn we have opinionated judges and non competitors to deal with.

Still find gems amongst here now and then.

It would be beneficial for me if we could run queries too. Mods please make it happen!
DELETE FROM Competition finishes
WHERE Placement='DAL';

I have a gooder idea. Why don't you announce your particular skill level in each category and then ask for advice only from cooks that are better than you in each.
And be sure to specifically eliminate all those opinionated judges also.
Ed

Goes through cycles. The nut hugging has gotten better, but in turn we have opinionated judges and non competitors to deal with.

Still find gems amongst here now and then.

Looks like you found my business card

<postscript>
Leader - biggest a$$clown in the tent 2017
Winner - biggest a$$clown in the tent 2016
KCBS - 2,175 Chicken 2017
KCBS - 2,351 Chicken 2016
KCBS - 2,809 Chicken 2015
</postscript>

I have a gooder idea. Why don't you announce your particular skill level in each category and then ask for advice only from cooks that are better than you in each.
And be sure to specifically eliminate all those opinionated judges also.
Ed

Hey, it's only a thought to help the competition guys.

But if a new comp guy wants to take the advise of someone that suggests he soak his chicken thighs in vinegar for 6 hours before cooking because that will remove the fat, then have at it. LoL

Seriously though...it was only a suggestion. I'm not a competition guy, and I never will be....so none of it matters to me anyway.

Folks need to test.... if I got the soak in vinegar reply I would at least test before serving to judges :) I take everything on the interweb with a grain of salt/rub

The forum says Competition BBQ. What makes up a competition? Cooks, judges, reps, and organizers. I don't see the title Cooks Forum. There are a lot of skilled cooks who don't compete, and who have a broad range of knowledge. 'Know-it-all' comp cooks tend to run them off of this forum. Most comp cooks are good folks however. Post as you see fit, and have a thick skin.

Pretty easy to look up a team and their finishes in the KCBS directory. That's what I do.

I thought sorting out the folks who win from DAL is part of the fun right?

<postscript>
average comp cook
</postscript>

(I've also learned you have to have pretty thick skin when posting on the comp forum)

Folks need to test.... if I got the soak in vinegar reply I would at least test before serving to judges :) I take everything on the interweb with a grain of salt/rub

Let me know how that one works out for you akoda! :becky:

Times like these make me miss Duffy. Handpicking briskets would have breathed some life in here again. Took it all for granted. I don’t even know what wins anymore

I'm not looking to kick anybody in their junk.

There is a boat load of info on this forum. You can learn a lot from talking to your neighbors at a contest. You can pay good money and take a class and cut a year or more off the learning curve.

I can think of more than a handful of teams that came out of nowhere to rack up a crazy string of wins.

There is no substitute for cooking it yourself and finding out what works for you, with your gear and then repeating it. Period. End of story.

Why limit this to the comp forum? Qtalk is no different. 10 responses but only one or 2 properly vetted responders. I take whats posted with a grain of salt depending on who posts it. One response from Landarc or sako could be worth 10 other guys to me.

Why limit this to the comp forum? Qtalk is no different. 10 responses but only one or 2 properly vetted responders. I take whats posted with a grain of salt depending on who posts it. One response from Landarc or sako could be worth 10 other guys to me.

And be careful to remember that you clicked on "New Posts" before posting. Comp people are cruel if you stumble in there unaware!

And be careful to remember that you clicked on "New Posts" before posting. Comp people are cruel if you stumble in there unaware!

They aint so bad. I think about em like zombies. Only dangerous in groups and even then rather harmless if you come in prepared

I would have to say that maybe one of the best advice I could give to someone starting out is to follow this forum as well as a few others and check daily. To me this just putting in your work in order to get better. When my focus is at its top I am non stop on this forum. In my first year before I ever took a class, I cooked at a bbq comp in Laughlin NV at the USA Barbeque Championship. It was the year that they offered all the regional bbq sanctioning bodies free entry and was a week before The World Food Championship in Las Vegas and I finished 9th against truly 85 of the best teams in the nation betting many well know champions. That was done by following a few forums like this and getting advice from friends that had local teams. Now sorting out the good info from the bad info is just putting in your work also. Practice, Practice, Practice and you will weed out the good from the bad. I will tell you that you really need to keep an open mind and you will find there is more good info in this forum then bad. When you see a post that many have responded you read it, as you can bet some of the best teams, judges, and experts have weighed in and turned the post to be extremely helpful.

2014 AZBarbeque Team of the Year
(Winner of all categories in that year)

Back