MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Default First brisket on GMC Daniel Boone

I did the first brisket today on my new Green Mountain cooker.

I followed my standard plan and put pans below the brisket with a 42 ounce bottle of old English and topped the rest of the way with water. Salt and pepper, no wrap until rest, cook to 203 then check for probe tender before removing from the smoker, then rest wrapped in construction paper. I used GMC Texas blend pellets for the first time ever.

It looked great and was tender, but I though the smoke was too light. Everyone else thought it was perfect.

My wife and I both agree that everything that came off this cooker is better that what we got off of our Pit Boss.
Here are some photos.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 10-28-2020 at 10:40 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
TropicDad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Andy

Looks great! Try some Lumberjack pellets, I use the hickory a lot with beef and it has a good smoke taste. Rural King has them if there’s one around you.
TropicDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicDad View Post
Looks great! Try some Lumberjack pellets, I use the hickory a lot with beef and it has a good smoke taste. Rural King has them if there’s one around you.
Thanks for the recommendation! I have a few bags of lumberjack and will try that next. I bought a couple bags of green mountain pellets to try them out when I bought the cooker.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #4
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Dang, you don't waste any time! Nice work!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Are you using the same pellets or different brand pellets.
Reason I ask because you say everything has come off better than the PB.

Just trying to get info in case I purchase a pellet cooker one day.

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Excellent work! Also curious to hear what ya think makes the food better off the GMG vs PB?

Old 10-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Marc, WOW!!!! What a Great looking Brisket brother!!!
I would say you hit "perfect"!!
I could put a SEVRE hurting on that goodness!
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I've tried every pellet I could in my GMG DB. I can't tell the difference from 100% apple, from 100% hickory. I buy pallet of lumberjack 100% hickory and that's all I use.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
creek bottom
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

MMMMM, Brisket!!!

A1 Competition Smoker; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco; Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Blackstone 28"; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Man, that brisket looks killer. Try your extreme smoke setting for an extended amount of time. It should intensify the smoker flavor.
Isaiah 41:10-Sweet Heat BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4 SCBA
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
Are you using the same pellets or different brand pellets.
Reason I ask because you say everything has come off better than the PB.

Just trying to get info in case I purchase a pellet cooker one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Excellent work! Also curious to hear what ya think makes the food better off the GMG vs PB?
I tried multiple pellet brands in my pit boss including lumberjack and could not tell a difference between any of them them so I ran the Pit Boss competition blend. I’ve only run GMC pellets through the new cooker so far so I don’t yet know if there will be a difference between pellets on this cooker. I have several bags of lumberjack so I hope to find out soon.

I’m not sure what makes the food better on this smoker, perhaps it is because of the pid controller that runs the fan at a low speed and hold the temps within a few degrees instead of the large swings my Pit boss had with the fan constantly running at high speed, or the fact that it has a large heat diffuser where the pit boss has none but the meat has been more tender and more Smokey than I was ever able to attain on my PIT boss.

Look at the smoke ring on the rib below, I was never able to attain anywhere near that much smoke in my pit boss without the aid of the heavy D log burning diffuser. The brisket also had more smoke penetration than I ever got on my pit boss. The rib was sitting on the second shelf with a pan of apple juice below it and the smoker temp set for 180 for the first couple hours of the cook which probably helped with the smoke profile.

I still prefer the smoke profile I get on my WSM best, but the GMC Daniel Boone is a step closer to what I’m trying to attain when compared to my $450 Pit Boss 820. My wife and others who tried the food said it was good, but I still want more smoke.

I also have two bags of B&B apple and post oak mini logs that I plan to to use in my Pit Boss with the wood burning diffuser. It’s the first time I was able to get post oak logs on the east coast so I still plan make at least one more brisket on the pit boss with the post oak logs in the wood burning diffuser. I also plan to use the green mountain second shelf in my pit boss with a pan with water and beer underneath since that would help to protect it from the rounded grease shield that seems to brown/burn anything that sits above it. If I only had a pit boss, I would still get the GMC second shelf, it just sets on the grate.

Eventually I may try the wood burning diffuser in my GMC but I want to explore what this cooker can do out of the box first.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 10-29-2020 at 10:22 AM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
I've tried every pellet I could in my GMG DB. I can't tell the difference from 100% apple, from 100% hickory. I buy pallet of lumberjack 100% hickory and that's all I use.
Thanks for letting me know, I’m about to try the same.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Man, that brisket looks killer. Try your extreme smoke setting for an extended amount of time. It should intensify the smoker flavor.
There isn’t a extreme smoke setting on this smoker, but I may turn it down from 225°to 185-200° At the beginning of the cook until it reaches an internal temp of 140° to maximize the smoke exposure.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
agoldswo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Goldy

I like to run mine at 170 for an hour or so, when i'm doing a long cook. I've noticed more smoke flavor at that temp, then i crank it up to whatever my normal cooking temp is. If you like Pizza, the pizza oven attachment is the best 125 dollar cooking gadget i've ever bought!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #15
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldswo View Post
I like to run mine at 170 for an hour or so, when i'm doing a long cook. I've noticed more smoke flavor at that temp, then i crank it up to whatever my normal cooking temp is. If you like Pizza, the pizza oven attachment is the best 125 dollar cooking gadget i've ever bought!
Thanks for the recommendation. I do plan on getting the pizza attachment as well as the thermal blanket.

We also bought the rotis attachment and my wife plans to make the thanksgiving turkey on the GMC.