MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #46
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post
Yes Ray - we are paying our bills & saving a bit. Thanks to the state of health care in this country, I have not had health insurance since I left the corporate world 15 years ago. As we spend pretty much all our time at the joint - we find it less necessary to have "spending" money but yes- we do have that as well.

Point is Ray - we're making a living on our own terms with our own business with very little debt. That - to us - is far more important than making a lot of money or even "buying the wife a little something". She'd probably gut you with a carving knife for that incredibly sexist statement.

Actually Bam - alcohol IS a great margin point but adds about 1000 times more headaches & money sucks to the business. Major among them is the insurance costs. You carry a MUCH greater insurance load with alcohol than with a simple Q joint. You also need a larger place - & staff - to serve alcohol which then gets back to why so many restaurants fail.

Buzz - sorry but I have to disagree. The Dr. has not offered anything other than HE failed ONCE & the absolutely absurd advice: "You have to start big & rack up a huge debt. You can't start small using your own capital & grow as your business grows." I know of no credible business adviser who would tell anyone they should not start small & manageable. As such, I can't put much weight into anything he has to say about opening a Q joint. Though perhaps he is right when it comes to opening a restaurant.

Whoa - Free and open exchange of ideas, so no need to sling any mud here brother. Advice and comments are like belly buttons, everyone has one - But there is no standard for excellence in either an "innie" or an "outie".

Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #47
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

@chachahut
I think you are wise for many parts of your statements, and for your business acumen.
I also think that there are plenty who have read your statements and agree in full heartedness with you and your decisions.

The Dr. writes from his experience from another angle of successes, which is probably more elusive for most folks.
Although I do not agree with all of his statements, his success is unquestionable.

In the end, success speaks for itself, and myself and all th Brethren should be happy for you both. Which I am.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11

Last edited by Smiter Q; 09-14-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #48
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbquzz View Post
As many have said "Listen To The Dr."

Not. All "the Dr." seems to be doing is spewing negativity towards a BBQ business owner for following a different business model than he did and that is so far working (and paraphrasing his words with quotes ohhh ahhhhh lame). From the outside it sounds like jealousy. How many years has he been open, who cares. He's giving advice on how to start. Maybe if he's lucky to be open in 10 years he'll be here to tell us how to stay in business. If he fails then at least he tried and we can learn from that too instead of saying don't do it. Until then I've enjoyed reading how he got started. He's got the cajones I only wish I had. And someday might, which is why I'm following this thread so closely.

Sorry Dr BBQ I've always enjoyed watching you on TV but to attack someone who came here to offer advice on how to open a q joint seems a little petty. But I don't have any credibility either, I'm a nobody, just a guy on the outside looking in.

To ChaChahut, good luck to you. Sucks to hear that you can't even buy your wife a present without it being a sexist issue. I thought only political correctness was out here on the left coast.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #49
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Hey Cha Cha,

I think there is a lot of good information for you in this thread. Personally, I would print it out and look through each comment and make notes of the good things and bad. That should give you a good basis on which to develop a plan or strategy for your new venture. Good luck.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #50
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin View Post
Hey Cha Cha,

I think there is a lot of good information for you in this thread. Personally, I would print it out and look through each comment and make notes of the good things and bad. That should give you a good basis on which to develop a plan or strategy for your new venture. Good luck.

Hawgs, I think you meant to post that towards Marietta SMoker.
Cha Cha already has a business up and running.
MS was the original poster.
But still.. it is GOOD ADVICE.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #51
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Sorry Dr BBQ I've always enjoyed watching you on TV but to attack someone who came here to offer advice on how to open a q joint seems a little petty.
Attack?
He made up a nasty quote and attributed it to me!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #52
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Many times what you're trying to convey isn't received in the same manner. To be honest, and I don't have a dawg in this fight, what you said came across with a condenscending tone and glazed with a bit of arrogance. I'm not saying you intended that but when I read it that's how it come across to me. It came across as if it ticked you off that someone skinned a cat in a way that you said failed more times than it worked.

Regarding him "misquoting you". Though you didn't say that explicitly. By you saying the bolded text below by default you were saying exactly what he called you out on. I mean, read what you typed. If you dont' agree with going small, and limiting your menu in order to keep cost down then by default what are you agreeing to or saying is the right way to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I don't agree with the "Start small" or the "Grab and go" strategy. You need to do what the customers want, not what you want. IMO people won't take you seriously if you have short hours, no tables, and a limited menu. If I was going to start a business I'd be looking to make a lot of money. You can't do that with a small, carry out only, limited hours joint.

Yes I know there are exceptions. Good luck with that.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #53
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Yea attack was probably the wrong word. My bad. It just seemed to border on a dislike for the guy just because he's not doing it the way you envision. chaChaHut seems to be working well for the owners and customers, sounds like a success story to me. Especially in this economic environment were in. Again sorry for the poor choice of words. Attack is what happens when you buy your wife a little sumthin. haha.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #54
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Hawgs, I think you meant to post that towards Marietta SMoker.
Cha Cha already has a business up and running.
MS was the original poster.
But still.. it is GOOD ADVICE.
sorry my bad. disregard.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #55
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
Advice and comments are like belly buttons, everyone has one - But there is no standard for excellence in either an "innie" or an "outie".
My baby girl hasn't got one but but I don't argue with her either as she always wins for some reason.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #56
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
Many times what you're trying to convey isn't received in the same manner. To be honest, and I don't have a dawg in this fight, what you said came across with a condenscending tone and glazed with a bit of arrogance. I'm not saying you intended that but when I read it that's how it come across to me. It came across as if it ticked you off that someone skinned a cat in a way that you said failed more times than it worked.

Regarding him "misquoting you". Though you didn't say that explicitly. By you saying the bolded text below by default you were saying exactly what he called you out on. I mean, read what you typed. If you dont' agree with going small, and limiting your menu in order to keep cost down then by default what are you agreeing to or saying is the right way to do it?
Do you realize that your tone is that of a mother scolding a child?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #57
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Hey Dr. BBQ

I like the hot girls in your picture.
[/COLOR]

Old 09-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #58
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Cooper Tire Babes!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #59
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I need a set of those!!!!!!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #60
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

You seemed to not understand why you were getting the reaction you were getting. So rather than bickering like a bunch of teenagers I'd thought I point out that maybe the message you intended to convey was received in a different manner than you intended. But the more this plays out it seems you knew exactly the tone you wanted to communicate but don't like getting called out on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Do you realize that your tone is that of a mother scolding a child?

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote