MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
LI Pig Congress
Knows what a fatty is.

Default starting out, equipment

looking for a smoker to grow with. ive been getting by with my weber gas grill and its time to step up. been lurking around craigs list/ ebay, havent found any thing yett. I Need an assassin smoker, for the money it seems to be the best bang for the buck. How ever if the wife finds out i spent $3000 on a grill she nuder me! can any one point me in a good direction. the reason i want a vertical is they are almost set and forget and i have extremely limited time and cant be watching my smoker all day. also wheres a good place to get meat whole sale on Long Island. Just started going to Restaurant depot, but think i can get better quality.
LI Pig Congress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Build a UDS....

Or

Did you look at the Humphrey's Line of smokers?

They are made in Maine and one of the salesmen lives north of NYC..

Contact Brethren User "Smokinit"

Humphrey's Price List

Last edited by IamMadMan; 09-10-2013 at 07:29 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Bludawg

Uds!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

uds or wsm

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
JohnnyP
Knows what a fatty is.

5 qt. stainless colander , steel pizza tray , 4 dowel rods , small 5 dollar fan , knockoff Weber cooking grate and a cardboard box. Shouldn't be more than 20 bucks set up and ready to go.
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

RecTec.
http://www.rectecgrills.com/index.cfm

Mak Grills
http://www.makgrills.com/shopping/st...e=1&cat=8&=SID

Traeger
http://www.traegergrills.com/
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Can't go wrong with a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
nthole
Babbling Farker

Assassin is a pretty big jump into the deep end.

You really can't go wrong with either size WSM. A UDS is great, but sometimes I think it's not a great 'first' smoker only because you can learn so much from other smokers it will change how you actually end up building it! But then... you get to build another UDS so that's kind of an added bonus!

Just stay away from anything that 'feels' cheap, because it probably is. If you follow that no matter what you buy the fine folks here will be able to help you figure out whatever you get and turn out some amazing q.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

For what it's worth, here's my journey into smoking.

I read somewhere that the BGE was the best steak griller on the market, so I started with a BGE mini to grill steaks at high heat. I realized the BGE (Big Green Egg) mini was VERY limited and terrible at cooking anything but steaks for the most part. So, I got a medium BGE to be able to cook chicken and ribs. I still never liked the way the BGE cooked chicken because the coals are too close, even with a diffuser I always found the chicken to have a burned oil taste. I tried all different methods for chicken, but it was always dicey. Ribs came out ok, but after owning 2 BGE's, I'm just not a fan - especially when you consider the price.

So, I sold my 2 BGE's and still believing in a Kamado style cooker, I got a char-griller Akorn. I immediately found the Akorn to be superior to the BGE, both in price and because it could cook some really good chicken and ribs. I used the Akorn a lot for about year or two. During that time I wanted to get a smoker that I could "set and forget" and not knowing any better, I bought a Masterbuilt Propane Smoker off of CL for $50. It was terrible and I turned around and sold that for $75 - at least I made $25.

From there, I discovered this website and decided to build a UDS. I built a UDS (you can search for my posts and you'll see it) and it was awesome - life changing. My cost to build was about $125. During my UDS period, I also discovered Traeger pellet grills - also life changing, but different from the UDS. I found both a Jr. and Lil Tex on CL for a fraction of the cost of a new units.

My smoking hobby now had become a full blown illness / addiction. I then built a mini-wsm. It soon became clear to me that my trusty Akorn was now my 3rd string smoker. I recently sold it because it just sat there unused.

I now have 2 Traegers, a UDS, and a mini-wsm. I also have an old Weber Gasser, which I mainly use for the shelves. I also recently picked up a gas Patio Bistro infrared off of CL cheap just as a toy to play with. I'm not sure the Patio Bistro is gonna stay with the team at this point.

Anyways, that's my story. I hope it helps you along your journey.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

My first smoker was a UDS, made it the kiss method and I'm still using it. Three intakes with magnets, 2 cooking racks and 1 rack if I want a defusser or drip pan. Used a weber lid so I have more room at the top if needed. It's easy and cheap to build one this way and it works great!!!
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you are after true set it and forget it cooking then a pellet grill is the way to go. I have Big Green Eggs and other cookers but even my wife is OK with dialing in a temp to smoke the meat. I have a MAK which is a little over a grand but well worth it. I would stay away from the currently manufactured Traeger's as they are not mfg'd in this country, etc. I started with a vertical and moved away from it due to the complete loss of heat when you open the door(no insulation on the cheap ones).

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

Uds..
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
SPRfree
Take a breath!

PBC, WSM, or an egg IMHO
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRfree View Post
PBC, WSM, or an egg IMHO
Sorry but don't get a egg. Too expensive and not versatile. Do I want one yes

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you have two issues: 1.) cost 2.) wanting the "set it and forget it."

As far as being cheap is concerned: a UDS is cheap and make great cue. It has the ABILITY to ALMOST be set it and forget it. You'll have to spend some time with one to really get a feel for doing the minion method with charcoal basket.

As far as set it and forget it: a pellet smoker. I've had the opportunity to cook a few times on these dudes.... It's literally set it and forget it. A few around $1000 are Rec Tec and a Yoder480.