MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What name do you like best?
Silence of the Hams BBQ 9 6.38%
Motor City Smoke 42 29.79%
Hot Hogs BBQ 5 3.55%
True Blue BBQ 24 17.02%
Mr. Porky's BBQ 2 1.42%
Lots-O-Napkin's BBQ 0 0%
Wild About Q' BBQ 4 2.84%
The Prized Pig BBQ 13 9.22%
Pig N' Out BBQ 36 25.53%
Down to the Bone BBQ 6 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #31
Wolverine
is one Smokin' Farker

Here in Clarkston we have the wood shop with Kid rock as a silent investor, their food is just ok, they use a southern pride gasser, however the line is out the door for just ok food. lets do a spin off and call it it WOODSHACK., Name reconition or name confusion works real well everyone will think your part of the kid rock gang,
Your difficulty will be how your going to cook the food, county health and fire departments will not let you cook with just charcoal indoors, they will however let you use gas as a back up with charcoal, check your health department, so your cooker is your big obsticale.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #32
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pig 'n Out doesn't limit you to pork, but does make a reference to the major item on your present menu while leaving it open to any changes in the future.

Motor City Smoke sounds like exhaust fumes to me.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #33
MrTaterSalad
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I agree.

take a hint from Slows.

The most popular bbq joint in the area. (I am from the Det area too)

very simple name.

Dont go for a gimmicky name

Motor City Smoke is ok, but it might get confused with Memphis Smoke in the Royal Oak area
If I'm not mistaken they closed down.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions thus far.
MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaterSalad View Post
If I'm not mistaken they closed down.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions thus far.
yeah I think you are right

that should tell you something right there

ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #35
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Write in vote: Motor City Smokehouse

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #36
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ham is not what comes to my mind when talking bbq in fact ham is not what most consider bbq at all and many don't like ham, so ham is out, unless you want to stress smoked meats which is something different than bbq. Not really caring much for any of the names on the pole, and I would guess in your area you already have many businesses that use Motor City in there name, so it wont stick out in peoples minds. Go simple like what is your Dads name? You could take a back seat, and call it, fill in the blanks here,
__________ & Son bbq, just keep it simple.
Dave

Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Ham is not what comes to my mind when talking bbq in fact ham is not what most consider bbq at all and many don't like ham, so ham is out, unless you want to stress smoked meats which is something different than bbq. Not really caring much for any of the names on the pole, and I would guess in your area you already have many businesses that use Motor City in there name, so it wont stick out in peoples minds. Go simple like what is your Dads name? You could take a back seat, and call it, fill in the blanks here,
__________ & Son bbq, just keep it simple.
Dave
I agree Dave. Possibly also work in the name of the neighborhood you are in, like "Daves Bricktown BBQ" or something.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #38
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

You sure came to the right place to ask.

I would venture a guess that the vast majority of Brethren have dreamed about doing what you are in the process of doing and have spent uncounted hours throwing around ideas for the perfect BBQ joint name.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #39
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Silenceofthehams is a really bad name.

It doesn't mean BBQ to anyone.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #40
deguerre

You could offer a certain BBQ sausage creation on the menu, AND play on the Motor City theme by calling your place...

The Fatty Piston
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #41
Rockin W Smokers
Got Wood.

As in the rest of BBQ remember the KISS method just look at the chain BBQ joints the names are easy to remember. I voted for Motor City Smoke but would change to BBQ or Smokehouse and if every other business starts with Motor City I would stay away from it. Have you thought about using your dads name, family last name, street name or Tater's Smokehouse? I grew up in the Dallas area and here are a few examples from there, North Main BBQ, Angelo's BBQ, Baby Back Shak, Cousin’s BBQ, Randy's BBQ, Off the Bone BBQ, Sonny Brian's BBQ, Spring Creek BBQ, Dickey's BBQ, Railhead Smokehouse and Risky's BBQ.
Rockin W Smokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I voted for Pig N' Out. It tells the customer what to expect and fits your business plan for now. It also has a double meaning and play on word that you were looking for.

Slogan: Pigging Out @ Pig N' Out.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #43
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

Motor city smoke sounds polluted Motor City Smokehouse sounds alot better second choice would be Pig N Out BBQ
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #44
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I voted for Wild About Q.

Silence of the Hams sounds more like a food truck name to me... would possibly appeal to the Yelp crowd, but likely questionable for others.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #45
16Adams

Time for a little "out where the buses don't run" spin on things. Remember the joke about how to arrive at your "Pr0n Star" name. Use the name of your first pet and the name of the first street you lived on.

Chigger Galahad BBQ. Now see how easy that is. Ok, break times over. Back to work.