"Preferred" chicken method for Bandera smoke chamb

S

Stucue74

Alright,

I know there are probably several threads on this, and I'm sure I've read most of them. However, the last time I did chicken in the Bandera I did skinless boobs after brining for a few hours using 100% hickory. The chicken came out full of juices and tasted great, but it was a little too smokey by my standards---yeah, sorry guys. It wasn't that it was bad smoke, just a little too much of a good thing. I love that taste on all my pork and beef but not quite as much on birds. When I do BCC's I usually don't have the same problem even though I cook them a little longer.

I've got a few questions:

1) What is the bretheren's preferred method for birds in the smoke chamber?

2) Do you believe hickory is a good wood for birds?

3) For large gatherings, what is the best way to do birds?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Bryan, I personally think hickory is a bit strong on poultry, cherry my favorite wood can be a bit overpowering on chicken too. I think birds absorb smoke better than other meats. Maple, apple and sassafrass are all pretty tasty on chicken/turkey.

Apple wood and Chicken on "Chicken Rocket" wilth butter, apple juice and beer inside rocket.

Best way for all birds is on a spit type rotissery. Spin'em if you got'em.

Skinless boobs are one of the few meats I turn. If I do them in the smoker instead of the grill it is primarily for flavor. A lot of the time I'm doing them to include in enchiladas, flautas, chalupas, etc.... If I want some texture which I do for some dishes I pull them and finish on a gas grill, I know it's heresy. Purists feel free to add a grill to the firebox.

I usually use a marinade that has some acid in it, usually lime juice (Smoke & Spice has a great marinade that I've used as a base recipe with a lot of variations). Usa a mix of Pecan and Mesquite wood.

Hey Bryan. I've had my best results using pecan on birds, and you can get it Albertson's or Academy stores here in OKC. I produces good smoke but not strong smoke, so the delicate taste of your spices doesn't get blasted away in a big red hickory smoke ring. As far as how to cook enough for a group, the best thing I've SEEN - not bought or used - is a commercial variation on the beer can in the "Chicken on a Throne" recipe in Smoke & Spice. This thing is a ring of five or six metal "thrones" that implies you can cook that many birds at once, in a pretty small footprint. Like I said, I haven't bought one of 'em (at Academy) but they should do the job.

Arlin

I tried my first smokeout last weekend. Since I was in the backyard already, I did a couple of beercan chickens on the gas grill. First time for all of this... The chicken was ok, like I know what you mean by including it in some enchiladas or something. It was tasty, but only tasted like chicken, ya know. What I need is a different liquid in the "can" and somethign special for the rub.

Enjoy.
Kellyman

My base recipe from Smoke & Spice for a lot of stuff is:

1/3 cup pickled jalapeno slices
1/4 Cup liquid from the same can or jar
juice from 2 limes
4 Tablespoons corn oil
3 tablespoons minched fresh cilantro
4 green onions sliced
3 garlic cloves sliced

Great in the heat of the summer. Add some cumin if you like. Like it hotter add a serrano pepper. I usually toss it all into the quisinart to help release all of the flavor before pouring it over the boobs in a freezer bag for overnight storage.

I smoke split breasts (bone and skin on) I peel up the skin and rub underneath spreading the skin back when I am done. I also rub the bone side. Smoke bone side down -no flipping. I use hickory and oak in my SKD lefty, and I have never had a problem with too much smoke flavor. The skin and bones do a great job keeping in the juices.

Brine that bird. 1 gallon of water with 1/2 cup coarse kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar for at least 18 hours before cooking.

I prefer hickory even with the chicken, but tend to use more charcoal than all wood.

For large gatherings I have done whole birds and parts. I've quartered the whole birds and then plunged them into a terriyaki pineapple mixture. Parts are handier and require less work. Drumsticks even handier, because they have their own handle.

One way to decrease the smoky flavor of skinless, boneless chicken boobs (for
the case where you're smoking the boobs with other meats - lik brisket or butts)
is to wrap those boobs with a piece of fatty meat. Bacon strips work well,
wrapped around and held on with a tooth pick. The bacon will absorb smoke
in lieu of the boob absorbing smoke (only in the areas covered by bacon mind
you) and will also serve to help keep the boob moist. The bacon will make
for good eatin' too.

racer_81 said:
One way to decrease the smoky flavor of skinless, boneless chicken boobs (for
the case where you're smoking the boobs with other meats - lik brisket or butts)
is to wrap those boobs with a piece of fatty meat. Bacon strips work well,
wrapped around and held on with a tooth pick. The bacon will absorb smoke
in lieu of the boob absorbing smoke (only in the areas covered by bacon mind
you) and will also serve to help keep the boob moist. The bacon will make
for good eatin' too.

That's my dillema. If I were to do birds alone I would probably just offset them whole on top of a beer at 350* for about 1 1/2 hrs using apple wood. However, I really like the strong hickory flavor when doing a bunch of pork and beef parts I really like the strong hickory taste. Might try racers idea of wrapping bacon over chicken parts next time.

How do you guys do chicken legs/turkey legs? Might try this for the next party.

parrothead said:
Same as I do whole birds. Brine then hickory smoke.

You brine legs for 18 hrs?? Looking to try this, which do you prefer chicken or turkey?

I prefere my chicken smoked with mesquite, but I like a strong, not bitter smokey flavor. My .02

BigdogSmoker said:
I prefere my chicken smoked with mesquite, but I like a strong, not bitter smokey flavor. My .02

I do as well but use a lot of pecan because it's easy for me to overdue it with the mesquite. Mesquite is the most difficult wood to manage for me. It burns fast and hot and I'm guilty of getting a bitter taste on occasion. That's the primary reason I mix it with pecan for chicken a lot of the time.

Back