Difference between "Throwdowns" and "Masters Cut" contests

Is all this too confusing?

• Yes, I truly have no freaking idea what you are talking about.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No, I can be confused much more than this, maybe more explanation will confuse me.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Perhaps, you are just too mixed up yourself which can only ultimately make us confused.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I think some charts, graphs and pictures all put together in a video might help.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
At least two recent questions (maybe 3) came up to me recently about entering the "Masters Cut #6 - Chuck" contest in relation to one or more of the other "Throwdown" contests.

These are two different kinds of contests that are not related in any way except that they are both run out of this "Throwdowns" forum, and is probably one cause of the confusion. Think of them like NASCAR and Indy Racing. Both NASCAR and Indy racing are car races even run on the same race tracks. However, they really are not the same at all really, and they don't correlate and stats from one does not bleed into the other.

The "Throwdowns" were the first contests which started back on September 29, 2008. At first they were just threads in Q-Talk, but after a while they got their own subforum to help group the Throwdowns together and to allow me to moderate the threads instead of the other mods having headaches dealing with correcting pictures in posts, etc. All Throwdowns follow the exact same rules, unless a specific twist is added by the person who decides the contest, or if it is a SPECIAL Throwdown which usually honors and event or topic that is dominating our BBQ thoughts on these boards.

The "Masters Cut" contests were started just a few months ago on March 3rd. The idea from the beginning was to make it different from the regular Throwdowns in a number of ways.

The most important thing about these being separate contests (as concerns the questions I have received), entering a "Masters Cut" contest does not count as an entry into a "Throwdown" contest (because it wasn't a Throwdown contest). Likewise, other stats from "Throwdowns" (any kind) do not count towards "Masters Cut" stats, and vice-versa. This includes Wins, Zero's, etc.

Without going into a lot of boring detail about all of the otherr differences between them, I will try and sum up the main differences very briefly.

The first difference is that the "Throwdowns' feature a category/theme (whatever you can imagine really) decided by the winner of the previous contest, while the "Masters Cut" contests feature a specific cut of meat that I decide on, and that cut will not be used again until at least one year later, forcing me to come up with a good variety of cuts to challenge you with.

Also the "Throwdowns" allow and even encourage having sides, drinks and decorative arrangements to create the prettiest photo you can make of your creation. The "Masters Cut" contests require that any edible items presented must feature the current cut of meat, and restricts the use of decorations around your dish(es) to limit any voting decisions to just the edible items you created from that cut of meat.

Thank you for such an inspiring message. How about some more entries in the master cut. I can't wait until next year to see the results.

If Master's cuts are NOT the same thing as throwdowns, then how come they are posted in the Throwdown section and not in the Master's cut section? You must think we're really stupid to try to get us to fall for this. :crazy: :becky:

Last edited:
Is there an extra special Masters Cut goose egg award with a super super sneaky Masters Cut ninja goose egg section?

Nope. The idea behind the Masters Cut series is that, "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE"!

One person is graced with being the master of that cut. Everyone else were slain, no matter how valiantly, they were just plain destroyed in the end, which is all that matters for this series.

There is no pity for any qualitative measurement of losery. There are only two things...

Masters and those who aren't.

So if there is a tie, then there are two Masters, right?
Nope, they both lose and there is no master. Although I suppose I never said that. It sounds better than a tie-breaker vote, because the loser would still be just as slain as all the others before them, but this might bother some people. So it's probably best to just declare everyone losers.:becky:

It just became more complicated for me, there are no winners? Then how can there be losers? How can there be dark, if there is no light?

I'm still wondering why the mods haven't moved this to the Master's Cut subsection. Who's in charge here anyway? Whoever it is certainly isn't earning his pay. :tsk:

It just became more complicated for me, there are no winners? Then how can there be losers? How can there be dark, if there is no light?
It's simple really.:becky: The one person with the MOST votes at the end of voting is the MASTER!:hail: If there is no one person with the most votes, then obviously there is no master.:nod: How can there be a master if they are not the one and only person who received the most votes?:loco:

I'm still wondering why the mods haven't moved this to the Master's Cut subsection. Who's in charge here anyway? Whoever it is certainly isn't earning his pay. :tsk:
I can't create subforums. And from what I recall it was kind of a lot of work for Phil to make this forum to begin with. So, I haven't asked.:becky: I don't want Phil to think I'm a pest. At least not any more than he already thinks that!:redface:

So you're saying there is NOBODY in charge. :shock:

Well, with the whole "let the voters decide" thing, it's sort of like the lunatics running the asylum really.:laugh:

Nope, they both lose and there is no master. Although I suppose I never said that. It sounds better than a tie-breaker vote, because the loser would still be just as slain as all the others before them, but this might bother some people. So it's probably best to just declare everyone losers.:becky:

Oh I like that, kind of like when Excalibur was stuck in that rock, there could be no true King without Excalibur. Until someone worthy enough can free Excalibur from the rock then he will be the true master:boxing:.....................

images

So it seems we are under Soccer rules where ties are accepted. What kind of sport is that :crazy:. That or we are now under progressive rule where there are no winners, there is no score kept and everyone gets a pretty sticker for participating.

So it seems we are under Soccer rules where ties are accepted. What kind of sport is that :crazy:. That or we are now under progressive rule where there are no winners, there is no score kept and everyone gets a pretty sticker for participating.

Again, Bigabyte showing his leftist core under his conservative veneer.

Nope, it's some twisted diametrically opposite version of the progressive system where everyone participates but they all wind up being losers.

Actually....on second thought....that pretty much mirrors the end result in life for those who play under the progressive system!:shock:

Back