MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #10321
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Being CDO that I am, I decided to take my drum down to bare metal. It took four pads of 80 grit, some wire wheels, and 2 beers:

I didn't like the way the original lip was fitting so I got a new piece of steel and tried again. I took my time and used three c-clamps to work the steel around (using this method). I was being impatient so I busted out the brazing torch and heated it up. Cost me another beer. I used 11 bolts all the way around the lip. There's a very small gap in some places. Eh.

My daughter wanted to paint it lime green but at $8 a can and not knowing how much I would need, I opted for high temp BBQ paint and some clear coat.

My BIL is still working on my fire basket. Here is a shot of my make shift fire basket on the old drum. It is the top of a knock off Smokey Joe with a bunch of 3/4" holes. This was originally the fire bowl for my ECB. I used the grate to hold the charcoal off of the bottom. The handle is from the knock off. With a full basket and some wood chunks, I can get 8 - 10 hours.

No food pron. The food disappears too fast once it is out of the smoker for me to snap any pics. I have a ET-732 that I use so no dial thermometer. The last time I used the smoker, it was raining/snowing so I placed the sending unit in a zip lock and place that in a Tupperware container. This is going to stay on the back deck with a cover so no wheels but maybe some handles. Hinged lid mod coming tomorrow once my BIL comes over.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #10322
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I heard that magnets were the way to go, then I read that nipples were the best....Sooo, I use a combination of nipples and magnets. I attached (2) 3/4" magnets from Home Depot to a fender washer. The magnets fit nicely into the nipple and hold the washer against the nipple. They work awesome and they do not get lost. I have (3) 3/4" nipples with washers/magnets and (1) 3/4" ball valve. The magnets stick to the barrel while not in the nipple or you can insert them a little askew to fine tune the air flow or even with the flat side of the washer against the nipple to vary the air flow.

I keep meaning to post my UDS build photos but since I finished it, most of my time has been using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-10_14-39-11_888.jpg (35.1 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-23_16-25-03_733.jpg (40.9 KB, 837 views)
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #10323
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Permatex RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Looks like krshome already answered your question.... I'm not a big fan of formaldehyde, but I've drank beer in the Phillipines that supposedly used it in their bottling process. I'd start over....
Thanks for the replies - I did contact the manufacturer and they said its rated NSF 51 (safe to be around, but not in contact with food). Did another burn this weekend and no chemical smell. Based on that and the number of mods I've seen using this product, I'm feeling ok about it.
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #10324
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Domed lid temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1skey6 View Post
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think you just need a 1:1 ratio of intake to exhaust. I'm guessing this isn't a Weber dome lid?
Correct, just a $10.00 BBQ pro from CL. Flatter profile than the weber. The daisy wheel vent is 3.53 sq inches of exhaust, plus the .98 for the 1/2 holes should be plenty of exhaust. I'm guessing that the hotter temps on the original flat lid were a result of the breeze blowing across the bung increasing the draw. I'm going to fire it up again this weekend with the dome and experiment with raising the lid a bit to see if the draw increases. Or I'll just lower the top grate a bit, remove the band mod and go back to the known temps of the flat lid.
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #10325
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post

Could you please post HQ pictures of those hinges?

I've been trying to find something like that.

Thanks before hand.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #10326
Pulledporky
Found some matches.

Welp once again business connections and relationships pay off big for me as this morning a guy from the steel plant i do business with carried in 2 pieces of expanded metal to my work allteady cut to 12 x 48 yeah buddy another freebie score for porey!
Pulledporky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #10327
Pulledporky
Found some matches.

Welp Business contacts and relationships continue to pay dividends. This morning a kind gentleman at the local steel plant I trade with carried in 2 pieces of cut expanded metal 12 x 48 another freebie for the project oh yeah!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #10328
d0nk3y
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORY View Post
You can use PAM, or the cheap cooking spray they sell at WALMART... I believe they sell it too at those 0.99 cents stores:

Am I the only one who noticed the furniture polish in the picture?!
I hope that is humor on your part and you didn't season your UDS with that.
d0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #10329
FORY
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nk3y View Post
Am I the only one who noticed the furniture polish in the picture?!
I hope that is humor on your part and you didn't season your UDS with that.
That's to shine the UDS from the inside..:b iggrin1:

Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #10330
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORY View Post
Could you please post HQ pictures of those hinges?

I've been trying to find something like that.

Thanks before hand.
Love the table and I have been wanting to add a table onto mine

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #10331
Pulledporky
Found some matches.

Happy thanksgiving y'all, and thanks to this thread ill be smoking my Thanksgiving bird on an UDS next year.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #10332
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Getting ready to build a stainless UDS. I bought this drum for $25.00 last week. I already made a basket when I had plans to build one about a year ago but lost interest.

That opening on the bottom was already there. I'm not sure why but I plan to attach a damper there by welding a bolt and using a stainless damper that I made for my offset. (I never use it.) The opening measures 2 5/16" and I'm wondering if it would be enough or if I should plan to make another damper. Also, since the lid is flat I will need to put the grate in the usual lower position. I figure I'll make a round damper with holes like the Big Papa style top vent out of stainless sheet metal. I have all the tools and scrap metal at my disposal so no problem there. I'll be reading up on this and other threads but any advice or tips are welcome.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #10333
Sizzl
Got Wood.

The intake ought to be big enough. I would make an ash pan. For the basket...:thumbup:

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #10334
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

If that was mine to build I would come off that port with a 90 and a 24" riser with a slide damper to regulate the air. The area of that opening is almost the same as 4 3/4 intakes.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #10335
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

10-4 on the ash pan. You will never regret that mod.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker