• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Braunfels Bandera/Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe

D

ddouglass

I have an old Bandera (10 yrs +) that is in really bad shape. I don't know whether to try to refurbish it or try to find a Brinkman SKD which Brinkman is not selling any more?
The Bandera has numerous problems as it has sat out in the weather for years. The doors and lid will not open (hinges rusted) and I don't know how to get them moving again.
The firebox is a total disaster though I don't think it is rusted through. The ash pan is totally gone and all the paint has peeled off inside the box. The grates are solid rust, but I can get replacements from Brinkman. I will definately use the fire brick method and the baffle from the Bandera 101 document.
The cook box I have no clue what is up with it because I cannot get the door open, but I want to put the drain in the bottom as suggested. The grates should be ok I hope, but those can be gotten from Brinkman as well. I am going to try adding some insulation to the door to seal it better than I remember it doing from before as well as replacing and adding more temp gages to keep more accurate readings for top middle and bottom.
So any suggestions how to get the doors freed? This is the first major thing as if I can't do that, then it is scrap metal.

Drizzle some vegetable oil on the hinges. Let them soak, hopefully they loosen up.
You could use some petroleum based lube or penetrating oil, but make sure it gets cleaned up/burnt off before you cook on it.

I'd try to rescue the Dera. Rust penetrating lube on the hinges and work em back and forth slowly. Maybe heating them up. The clone I gave my dad had the same rust probs with the hinges. It just took a couple days of adding oil to em and working em loose. One hinge even broke at the weld so that had to be welded back together.

use penetrating oil and let it soak in. It may take a day or two, but you should be able to get it opened up.

Save the Bandera!!!! Afterall, that's what started this whole Brethren thing in the first place.

How much is it worth to you to have a real Bandera? In less than two hours you could be at Academy Sports where they still sell it. Call first to make sure it's in store or if they'll reasonably ship it. Additionally call up Lonestar or Klose to see about getting a Beast or MOAB type cooker.

dmp

Thanks guys. I'll try the penetrating oil. If that doesn't get it then I'll try heating it. The heat is how I gotten them to open before though they were still very stiff at that time.
How bad do I want a Bandera. I love the way it cooks and really want to restore this one to health. It is dark now so I'll try to get pictures tomorrow and post them if I can. I really am ashamed of myself for letting it get to this point, but this forum has inspired me to restore it.
I am going to check out Academy too, though I haven't seen any of either in the stores for a couple years now. The problem with the other two listed is they are more expensive than the Bandera was. I know they are good, but I want to try restoring first. If I can't then I'll consider buying new.

Check out Academy's website. They have the Bandera listed for $300, so it may be mail order only.

dmp

Back