MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Tinybud
Take a breath!

Default big oppurtunity, need alittle info

We were just asked to vend at our annual Labor Day Regatta. The crowds average around 40,000 every year, its power boat racing, they shut one of the roads down and setup rides, games, crafts, bands and food. We would be the only bbq vendor there, but plenty of other food choices. How do you go about figure food amounts for such an event?.. I realize its a bit of a crap shoot. Its a 3 day event, and I've never done such an event before. Our location will be next to the bandstand, so big crowds throughout the day. Could use any info anyone case pass along. Thanks all....
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tinybud,

One of the Brethren who vends will be along to help you out shortly! I only cater

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

All I can say from what I have learned is set a goal and try and run out everyday. Pulled pork is going to be your biggest draw. It is cheap and makes you the money. Do not run out of that!!!!! Do you vend other events that you can use leftovers at? There is a lot to take into consideration. How much other stuff do you do?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Man that is tough to figure out. We were soured by a festival sponsor saying we would get 3K people a day at a rodeo we vended last year. We were luck to get 300 the first day and 1000 the second. It was a blatant, lie. We talked with several riders and rodeo staff and they told us they had never seen 2K out there let alone 3.

There is a thread here somewhere that has a formula. Something like you subtract 25% as people who would not eat at all, the divide the remaining number by number of food vendors, and that will give you the number you could possibly expect. Do a search for the correct formula.

Good Luck!
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I might plan to feed around 3500 if this was me.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do a bit or googleing on the event, have you attended it yourself? This should give you some idea of the amount of people that attend. I know that when I use to hang out at the races at Bonelli Park ( Puddingstone to you Norco) it was a prime place to be selling food and beer.

These are the sort of events I want to cook for here in the summer.
Get some friends / brethren to lend a hand.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I've attended the event every year that I can remember,, its the biggest draw of people for our area. and over 3 days, 40,000 is a real good estimate of people. As of right now i have no other vending jobs after that one, I vend at our local high school track and field meets, but that's small potatoes compared to this event. I have lots of time for planning,, just trying to get thoughts from you folks that have done this type of event before, to try and understand what to expect. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I will be in the same boat you are as I should get picked for an event that size also. I have some numbers for smaller events of 5 and 10 thousand. 3-5 cases of butts and i do pulled pork nachos also. Case of brisket,50 chicken breast sammies,2 full trays of beens,100dogs,40lbs slaw,10cases of soda 5cases of water. Hope this helps.