MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
mbigtoe
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First Comp Upcoming

For the past several years, I've been intrigued by competition BBQ. I've put out pretty good BBQ on my 22.5 WSM (or so family and friends tell me). So, I decided to get my feet wet and just submitted my first entry fee. My first comp will be on Oct.4 at the Rib Rub Run and Roll in Rockwall, TX. It is sanctioned by ICBA. I chose this as my first contest because there is no brisket category. It has been replaced by baby back ribs, so the three categories being cooked are 1/2 chicken, baby back ribs and spare ribs.

I've done some research and it seems like ICBA will need to be extra tender since the judges are using the knife and fork approach. It also seems like ICBA judges like lots of smoke and bold flavors? Is that correct? I like to make my ribs sweet (but not overly so) with a little bit of back end heat, but maybe I should go a little less sweet and more savory.

Also, I don't know a lot about the clean up phase of the contest. Does anyone have any information on that phase? Should I put the fire out with water or try to choke it? What's the best way to dispose of the ash, etc.? I know it sounds dumb that this is my main concern, but it seems to be a topic that is largely overlooked. Also what is a good set up for three compartment water deal? I've never heard of this.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

TLDR: This is my first comp. What do ICBA judges look for? Any tips on clean up? Any tips on a three compartment water dispenser?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

In IBCA, the judges are local. Find the best ( most popular) bbq around like say the Lodge and that will give you an idea of what they like. Tubs are 1st for soap, 2nd for rinse and 3rd for dilute food safety measured bleach water.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

I choke the pit once I pull my last meat. I bring a small galvanized ash can to transport my ash to the ash cans provided by the competition. If you are looking to leave right after awards you need to get the smokers cool. I never throw water on or in any of my cookers. Hot ash is always cooled in my galvanized ash pails that have a tight lid.

As stated above, the three buss tubs are for Wash, Rinse and Sanitize (capful of bleach in water).

Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

never hurts to do a run through at home to get down all your times and procedure. if this is yiur first, doing something like this will help prevent you from feeling like a fish out of water... you will however feel like a frog out of water, but it will be fun and you will learn alot.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

IBCA is "backyard" BBQ at its best. Your ribs need to be nearly fall off the bone tenter. As for the flavor profile, salty is the way I would describe it. I've tasted several entries that have placed, and I wouldn't say that were savory or bold, but Salty. Judging is done with a CHEAP fork and knife so again make sure your meat is extra tender.

As for the three compartment setup, I might of missed it, but I haven't seen that as a requirement for IBCA. I use 5gal buckets with lids for my wash system, and use pan liners to save washing the pans. Also use disposable cutting boards.

Clean up has varied from comp to comp. Some will pick up trash from your site, some will have a "central" collection area for you to take it to. As for the ashes, choke your pit to put the fire out (no water) and dispose of your ashes after you get home. It's never cool to see some of these teams trash a cook site. Don't see it often, but it does happen.

GOOD LUCK! And have fun!!!!
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
mbigtoe
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the tips. These are very helpful! I don't think IBCA has the three compartment water dispenser requirement for this comp, but it is in place if I want to do the People's Choice (chicken wings) portion. I've also seen it as a requirement for other comps. I'm thinking since it's my first comp, I'll just focus on the three meats and leave the People's Choice to the veterans.