GREAT TRI TIP = Terrible Cook

C

charray

Went to Restaurant Depot today and bought brisket, a chub of bologna chub, pork loin for Canadian bacon, spare ribs and probably my favorite, which is Tri Tip. Bought a pack of 8 cleaned and trimmed totaling 18.8 lbs at $4.15 a pound.

Since Tri Tip is easy and fairly quick and always tasty it was on tonight’s menu. took 2, rubbed them down with peanut oil, applied medium shake of Head Country Championship Seasoning and a heavy shake of Oakridge Santa Maria Rub and then let sweat 90 minutes.

Stuck a maverick probe in each and put them on the Traeger on Smoke & P-4. When they reach an IT of 120 I pull tent and crank to high. After the grill is north of 400º I put them back on until 130 flip and pull at 140º.

But here is where the ordeal began. My Maverick was reading probe 1 at 69º (accurate) and probe 2 at 234º (raw before cooking). I tried pulling the probes out, rebooting and even put the secon probe in ice water but it wouldn’t come below 162º. Grabbed my second Maverick used the same probes and everything was fine. ANYBODY got a clue as to the issue.

About an hour late I look at the remote and both tri tips were at 114º and a few minutes late they were at 110º. Unbelievable, I lost my flame for only the second time in 3 years of regular cooking. I think I developed a void in the hopper. Anyway, I cleaned out the fire pot and restarted and continued my cook. A couple of minutes after flipping I looked and I was at 134 & 136º with just a minute to go. Then the doorbell rings, I answer, get distracted and the next thing I know I’m at 145 & 147º.

Oh well... Murphy came to dinner – I guess he like TriTip also.

P1010095.jpg

A little over done but still juicy and very tasty.

P1010100.jpg

Tomorrow is Shepherds Pie

They look real good to me. Medium rare. At least that's what I'm seeing from the photo.

They still look like they were good. Maybe just a touch below medium. I think I'd be happy if you served me that. Can you send me some so I can be sure? :mrgreen:

Looks good. I have ruined probes getting them too wet while washing them. Could be your problem.

yea, looks fine from here. funny how easy it is to panic and then find its not so bad.
i have a lot of experince doing that.

Yep.. good from here too. The "Touch below Medium" call is spot on DerHusker. Perfect for everyone I know. 3 more touches below that and I'm in Tri Tip Heaven. Seems like I get that same panic attack every time I cook only to have everyone say that they liked it. Liars !!!:wacko:

Nice looking cook Charray. It's just a bad probe, they go bad eventually. Just throw it in the trash can and get another. I have used the life out of 3 so far.

Back