MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Equalizing horizontal and vertical chamber temps?

Hey guys I'm still learning how to cook on my new pit. It's an offset with a 24 x 24 firebox with a 24 x 72 horizontal chamber and 30 x 30 x 48 or so vertical chamber. The temps oddly are higher on left side(away from firebox side) of the horizontal but not by much, maybe 15*s. That's not a big deal to me. The vertical chamber is about 75* cooler than the horizontal though. What would be the best way to equalize the two chambers? Even if I could get them within 20*-25* I would be ok with that. I decided I'd rather have the vertical as a cooker and not just a warmer. I was thinking maybe adding tuning plates would help, but I'll ask you guys. Here's some pics.

The first two pics are of the flap between the vertical and horizontal taken from inside the vertical. The third pic is of the baffle/deflecter between firebox and the horizontal chamber from inside the chamber.

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pit 004 (Small).jpg (73.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Pit 005 (Small).jpg (64.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Pit 007 (Small).jpg (70.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Pit 11 (Small).jpg (67.2 KB, 85 views)
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

that looks similar to the Klose Backyardchef. If the characteristics are similar, 30-50 degree span is about the best you will do, withthe vertical running cooler. It will take some time to master it, but i can get my BYC vertical within 30 degrees of the horiz by closing down the chimney about halfway and leaving the firebox dampers wide open. this will give me 220 in the vertical and 250 in the main.

Vertical however does not have even heat distribution, far bottom of the vertical is really far left of the horizontal and runs pretty cold.. but the shelf directly above the opening from the main into the vertical runs very hot. The shjelf above that runs cooler with a hot spot under the chimney.

it will take practice, but damper settings is the key.. damper the exhaust a little to hold in some heat and run the firebox wide open to keep the fire running clean.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Wouldn't cooler temps in the vertical chamber be desirable for smoking lower temperature foods, almost like cold-smoking?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

the vertical can be used for cold smoking, or lower temp cooking like sausage... but personally, I had more of a use for it as a volume cooker and that vertical has can hold alot of food.

BTW, something I forgot.. i have also added what I have called and "assist pan." Its and old 13 inch cake pan about 5 inchs high with holes punched in the bottom for airflow. I have put that pan in the bottom of the vertical filled with about 1/2-3/4 chimney of fully lit kingsford. it helps keep the temps up. The curve of the pipe keeps the pan off the floor and gives it the airflow.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote