Just another suggestion thread for another smoker.

Estropelic

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've been grilling for years and started my smoking venture with a Masterbuilt dual fuel tower smoker. I removed the Gas tank and added a coal basket to run coal 100% of the time. The seal of the tower smoker wasn't all that great and I found the temps between zones a pain to manage at times. I later found a PK grill and things got way way better for me. I plan on keeping the PK Classic for life and handing it down to my son. :) I eventually got myself a Heatermeter and automated smoking is the way to go for long coal/wood smokes. The only issue with the PK is the capacity. For 2-3 people, the PK has more than enough room to feed em. Although, I would like to be able to smoke a full brisket and a pork shoulder or a few slabs of ribs if necessary to feed a party. I would like to stay under 1000 for my next smoker and It looks like a UDS might be the next best option. I would prefer to have something that's somewhat portable and easy to maintain temps. I would also like to use my Heatermeter to control the temps if necessary. Sorry if these type of threads are common and sometimes unwanted, but as you can see, I've dabbled with the hobby and truly am looking for advice here. :)

Welcome and people here like helping other people spend their money, so these what smoker/grill or anything else related to cooking never get old. When you say UDS do you want to build your own or do you want to buy a Drum all set up and ready to go? If you do not want to mess with building your own take a look at the Hunsaker Drum Smoker it's mobile with it's large dolly style wheels. You won't need your Heatermeter to regulate and control temps, once you lock the vents in it will set at whatever temp you want for hours and hours no electronics necessary, would also recommend the hanging kit. If you want to build your own, Hunsaker also sells DYI parts to build your own and Big Poppa Smokers has some nice drum kits.

Exactly what Kevin said ^^^^^

And welcome to the Brethren!!! :)

Welcome. Drum smokers are a great way to go. If it were me, I would buy a Hunsaker if I were going the drum route.

One more suggestion would be to go with a smaller pellet grill like a Grilla Chimp or a Rec Tec 340. Large enough for a big brisket or 3 racks of ribs but nothing beyond that. Both are portable and well made. Both control temp very well. Both priced around $600-$700

Get a 22.5 WSM a few upgrades cajun bandit door unknown bbq lid hinge and if you want a controller like a digiQ and you will be able to cook for a few or a big group. IMO a great starting spot.

Last edited:
Pit Barrel Cooker would complement a PK grill well. Tons of room if you hang your meats. Won’t need a Heater meter either.

I would also say a Hunsaker drum or PBC if you want to spend less.

Sounds like you made your mind up. Hunsaker wheels around like a dolly, and so would be very portable. I like Gateway's design slightly better but you will need to buy a cart to make it mobile. There are other brands, but those two are the most popular. If you build a couple of UDS's you will save money and double your cooking space.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll probably start saving for the vortex. I'm handy around the home but not handy enough to build a smoker. Maybe next time. :)

Back