Good Eats

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was just watching a rerun of good eat where Alton Brown cooks in the flower pot and I noticed that he actually had a queer Bandera in his garage. He called it "expensive".

I saw that too. Was that a BSKD?

And the farker used a cheapy Lowes thermometer in the top hole istead of a Spicewine. The nerve.

There was no drip pan in there either plus I didn't see any smoke on the side walls. Maybe, being hollwood, it was cooked somewheres else.

Alton is pretty quick to use an expediant method like the flower pots. I saw that show also and wondered why used the pots. Somewhere along the line either him or his wife, who has major input into his show, must have run across this technique a liked it. If you ever watch Emerel, he smokes in the oven with a sliding lid pan. He puts the meat at one end and wood chips in the other end. Like I always say the real test is with the taste and not the tools. I like my smokers because they let me do several things that I love to do...cook...drink Guinness...listen to music...read a good book...and play with fire. To me it doesn't get much better than that.

There were a couple of threads on here last summer about this flower-pot smoker. I don't remember who(sorry:oops: ) but at least a couple of the brethren have done this.

On one episode I remember him smoking something with a hot plate and cardboard box.

Hey Guy, that must be why colleges strictly enforce the NO HOT PLATE rule in the dorms! can you imagine the liability!

Sawdustguy said:
On one episode I remember him smoking something with a hot plate and cardboard box.

I remember seeing part of that. I know he was using two polder type probe thermos. I think it was salmon he was smoking, but not sure.

qman said:
I just hope that guy did not kill somebody with that galvanized trash can smoker:eek:

That's what went through my mind when I first saw the pictures. I bought a metal garbage can to use in the backyard for burning trash with and didn't even think about the galvanization on the metal until it started burning off during my first burn. That pretty much sold it to me about the why's and how's of not using galvanized metal for baffels. I had just bought my BSKD and was going to buy some metal from Lowe's that afternoon to build my baffel with and all I could find was the Galvanized stuff.

Samichlaus said:
What's a queer bandera?
Left handed. As in Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's a mirror image of the Bandera with the firebox on the left side. You have to put the K towards the smoke chamber which realy confuses me.

Kevin said:
Left handed. As in Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's a mirror image of the Bandera with the firebox on the left side. You have to put the K towards the smoke chamber which realy confuses me.

Is that for the Old Style Kingsford or the New Style Kingsford?

In some places, you can only find queerderas.

Kevin said:

Yeah but if you use the new kingsford, you have to microwave the briquettes first to activate the new grooves and point them away from the smoke chamber.

But only in the northern hemisphere...

No wonder I can't keep the temps up. All this time I've been putting the charcoal in all hap-hazardly!!!!!

Too bad I didn't figure this out sooner.

Wait, If I have a queerdera, should I buy it one of those little pink cowboy hats????

giiiirrrrll you look fabulous!! mod

I actually started with an Alton Brown designed flower pot smoker before getting my Bandera. It works very well and I still fire it up to cook boston butts. The hardest part is getting the temp adjusted, but once you get that set, you're golden.

Back