MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Temperature Controller for Freezer or Refrigerator for Sausage Curing or Brewing

Several years ago I made a digital controller to use on my freezer and refrigerator to keep the temperatures consistent during brining, curing, and in sausage making. This works by cutting power to the refrigerator / freezer to prevent the refrigerator from getting too cold in sausage curing, and turns power back on as the temperatures begins to rise.

I spent about $100.00 on the high current teledyne relays and the digital probe and signal relay. While it works very well, there was nothing available off the shelf for this purpose.

I recently came across this freezer / refrigerator controller made by Johnson Controls (basically an analog line level thermostat with a remote bi-metal probe). Temp Controller

I thought those who are new to the sausage curing craft or brewing might have an interest in a simple device for that purpose at a reasonable price. Don't know if anyone has a need for this device or not, but thought I'd share it.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I have used that controller for my keezer for several years. Mine maintains the temp within a degree or two without issue. My keezer lives in the garage, and in the summer my garage can get over 100f, while my beer stays a nice cool 43F.

You can also get a digital version, and there are a couple of other companies that make them as well.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveuseen1? View Post
I have used that controller for my keezer for several years. Mine maintains the temp within a degree or two without issue. My keezer lives in the garage, and in the summer my garage can get over 100f, while my beer stays a nice cool 43F.

You can also get a digital version, and there are a couple of other companies that make them as well.
I did see a digital version

and it is just a little more.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 11-07-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Very cool. How do you handle the humidity if curing dry sausages? Do you have pics of your overall setup?
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I have just got into sausage making. I have not tried making any dry sausage yet. I have an extra fridge I can use to hang the meat. I thought as long as the temp stayed within 36 - 40 degrees you were good

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post
Very cool. How do you handle the humidity if curing dry sausages? Do you have pics of your overall setup?
For humidity I have just been putting a half pan in the bottom with 1/2 of water and checking a cheap humidity gauge

It's not the best but it keeps me close. Not too much water in the pan allows me to pull the pan or add more water as needed.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
For humidity I have just been putting a half pan in the bottom with 1/2 of water and checking a cheap humidity gauge available here It's not the best but it keeps me close. Not too much water in the pan allows me to pull the pan or add more water as needed.

.. Humidity Controller
Cool. Thanks.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
doogie21
Got rid of the matchlight.

Everybody laughed when I bought it, but I bought one of the cheap controllers from ebay for like $20 shipped. It only reads celsius, but is a dual control and has a hot and a cold side to it. I found a tutorial on youtube that is great and actually have it set up to where it heats or cools depending on the temperature.

Has worked great for when I am cold crashing and lagering my homebrews.

Figured it was worth it for the cheap price. Have had it for over a year and it has worked great so far.
doogie21 is offline   Reply With Quote