Accurate Thermometer

QueNivorous

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an accurate pit thermometer for a Jambo. We have purchased several but have yet to find one that is accurate and will last.

Tel-Tru is what I've used for years. +/-5 degrees on my 50-550 degree thermometer (+/-1% of span). Don't know if you consider +/-5 degrees to be accurate or not. I always unscrew and remove the thermometers before travelling so they are not subjected to the bumps and jolts from the road, and I have had the same 2 for going on 5 years now. I check them periodically against boiling water and haven't needed to adjust them yet.

Accurate?... I've not found any yet that are inaccurate. However, they're not showing the cooking surface temperature because they're not on the cooking surface. On my brinkmann it usually runs 20 degrees hotter than the cooking surface. On my Lang it's about 30 degrees cooler than the cooking surface... This is because of where they're located.

After market, I've found that Tel-Tru work fine and are accurate.

Thanks for the recommendations. +/- 1% of span would be great! I should probably have used the word repeatability rather than accuracy. The Tel-Tru I purchased hung up at 265 during the first competition we used it in. It would also give readings +/- 20 degrees in boiling water. Possibly, just a bad one. I did order another slightly different model Tel-Tru yesterday so we will see if that one works better. We'll also order one from River Country. At $23 it's certainly worth the test. Thanks again for the response.

+1 River Country

2010%20rct2.jpg

Back