Sausage turn-in at the Royal

I am not our sausage cook but I assume we will turn in some kind of Fatty/Armedillo eggs.

Can you do both, as in having six slices of a fattie and six armadillo eggs if made out of the same sausage?

Tony I am sure you can have six of each if you can get them in the box. I am not sure if sausage is anything goes or not. If so you may be able to present it outside the clamshell (silver platter or something). You really need to check the rules however because I am not sure.

KCBS rules and garnish for the sausage category at the royal.... 9x9's too.

We were told at a contest recently by a KCBS BOD member/ Rep that when KCBS rules are used like that, that stuffing is a violation in the sausage category... so under that interpretation an a-egg would get tossed.

Not sure what the call at the royal would be on that, just letting you know...

Last edited:
Ok Sorry I was not aware of that. I did send an email to BBQ@americanroyal.com to clairfy the rules.

Here is the body of the email. I will post the response.

"I have a question about the Sausage entry. Right now something called a "fatty" is very popular. This is basically a sausage loaf with cheese, onions, etc stuffed in the middle of it. I have heard that this stuffing will cause the sausage entry to be disqualified. Can you confirm or deny this?"

Last edited:
KCBS rules and garnish for the sausage category at the royal.... 9x9's too.

We were told at a contest recently by a KCBS BOD member/ Rep that when KCBS rules are used like that, that stuffing is a violation in the sausage category... so under that interpretation an a-egg would get tossed.

Not sure what the call at the royal would be on that, just letting you know...

We've been turning in "stuffed" sausages in a variety of presentations all year at KCBS contests and have yet to be DQ'd or even warned. If you think about it, all sausage is stuffed with something, even if it's just ground seasoning. I'm finding it hard to believe they created a rule limiting what you can stuff it with.

It almost sounds as though the concern of the BOD/Rep you spoke to was in regards to sculpting.

Meat shall not be sculptured, branded or presented in a
way to make it identifiable. Rosettes of meat slices are not
allowed.

We've been turning in "stuffed" sausages in a variety of presentations all year at KCBS contests and have yet to be DQ'd or even warned.

A lot of contests don't call out specific rule for entries like sausage. The Royal did saying KCBS garnish rules apply. I look at rule 11 that says stuffing is prohibited and would say an egg inside the sausage meat would be a violation.

A lot of contests don't call out specific rule for entries like sausage. The Royal did saying KCBS garnish rules apply. I look at rule 11 that says stuffing is prohibited and would say an egg inside the sausage meat would be a violation.

So would cheese and veggies count as stuffing? Such as in the pic below.

11.jpg

We've been turning in "stuffed" sausages in a variety of presentations all year at KCBS contests and have yet to be DQ'd or even warned. If you think about it, all sausage is stuffed with something, even if it's just ground seasoning. I'm finding it hard to believe they created a rule limiting what you can stuff it with.

It almost sounds as though the concern of the BOD/Rep you spoke to was in regards to sculpting.

I think it was stuffing that was the issue, we were told mixing the ingredeints throughout the meat was fine... just putting it in the center was the issue... as you can see in the photo, its stuffed into the center.

I'm sure depending on the rep its a different call... just giving a heads up that some reps would DQ for it... so better to ask first then find out later.

In 2005, we entered sausage at the Royal and stuffed it with cheese and diced japs... no DQ. but maybe they changed the Royal rules since then. I do know we were warned by Jack Gibbs at Blue Springs earlier this month that sausage stuffed with anything would be a DQ since KCBS rules applied. We weren't going to stuff anyway but found that interpretation interesting. I'd be hesitant to stuff sausage at the Royal this year based on that. Besides... it's a MEAT contest, not a stuffing contest! :twisted::lol::wink:

It's also an 'extra' category. Using finely diced bits of onion, jalapeno, etc. throughout the sausage is okay. Blatantly putting a 'glob' of whatever in the center of it would be considered stuffing.

Everybody's obviously getting excited.....that's Royal week. Safe travels to everyone.

For what it's worth, we entered a "stuffed" sausage similar to the one pictured above and the entry was not DQ'd. I did ask an Ambassador beforehand who said it was legal.

I judged the Open and my table had 4 sausage entries.

1. The first looked like a fatty, but was almost exactly like meatloaf in taste and texture: ground beef, onions/peppers. It was sliced and the outside glazed in sauce

2. Likely storebought Kielbasa/Smoked sausage drenched in a KC style sauce and topped with melted cheese. For this entry, I called over a Rep to verify that the cheese on top as a garnish was legal. The rep said that because other entries had cheese INSIDE, that cheese on top was okay.

3-4. The last two were unstuffed breakfast-sausage style fatties with no stuffing of any kind.

-NelsonC

For what it's worth, we entered a "stuffed" sausage similar to the one pictured above and the entry was not DQ'd. I did ask an Ambassador beforehand who said it was legal.

We entered one similar also.......and it took 15th place.

Last edited:
What we turned in last year got 11th and this year same thing got 200+ so you never know I my self was shocked. but I guess it's is really just the luck of the table you get put on. Who cares we had a blast.

Back