MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

I like a place in Houston called Thelma's BBQ her sign says
"When It's Gone It's Gone"

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

It kinda sux when you're hungry and the place is sold out when you
get there.

You might consider making extra of one thing that will hold well for longer
periods.....perhaps "Pulled Pork"....that way when you get those late
customers, you can tell them...."It's been a busy day and all I have left
is some Pulled Pork.....would you like me to make you a Killer Pulled Pork
sandwich?"

Just an Idea.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Try to put yourself in the customer's position. Tell the customer something that means something to him.
-- We BBQ fresh every day to insure that our customers are being served the best BBQ they can get. We could BBQ a ton of meat and freeze it, then microwave each order as it is sold, but we want you to have the best---not the easiest.

---Start a VIP Club with special pricing on call ahead orders. The only requirement to be a VIP is to have your restaurant's phone number programed into their cell phone. Your phone in orders will double---You have made your customers feel "special"

---Is there a bar nearby? We always cooked extra ribs, and if it looked like we were going to have leftovers----I would send an employee over to the bar with a rib plate and have them buy a drink and sit there and eat the ribs. It never failed---the bar patrons would order food.

--- leftover ribs will make good rib sandwiches the next day, and rib meat stripped off the bone goes great in greens.

---Todays consumer has been taught that they are always right----and that if you close at 10:00 --that means that they can show up at 9:59:59 and get whatever they want. It is very dificult to keep BBQ at it's optimum for all hours that you are open. BBQ restaurant is kinda like a BBQ contest ---only as you are getting ready for your 2:00 turn in time----the time gets changed to 8:00

There are no easy answers----try to make each customer feel important---call them by name---as they leave say "It was great seeing you again. If you have one or 2 customers that buy ribs 3 or 4 times a week ask then for their phone number in case you have left over ribs at the end of the day. If you must discount something---at least discount it to someone who is spending a lot of money with you.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

There have been several very good BBQ places around here that posted that they do their best, but, that they do run out as they only have so much room in their smokers to do a quality job. The thing that will lose me every time is the see a good place increase their volume and lose the quality of the food. If I sense that this is the case, I will not return, it tells me the owners do not care about the food.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Very simple solution IMO. Cook more food. Running out of food is the worst thing you can do. How pissed of would you be if you went to Olive garden and they were out of pasta. What if you went to Mcdonalds and they had no burgers? You know where I am going. You are in business to make money. You need to figure out a way to service everyone who walks through your door, word of mouth will either make you or break you. Make sure you make it positive.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Anyone showing up at 10:00pm should know Wyatt's in bed by then.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #22
Bbq Bubba

GREAT advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
Try to put yourself in the customer's position. Tell the customer something that means something to him.
-- We BBQ fresh every day to insure that our customers are being served the best BBQ they can get. We could BBQ a ton of meat and freeze it, then microwave each order as it is sold, but we want you to have the best---not the easiest.

---Start a VIP Club with special pricing on call ahead orders. The only requirement to be a VIP is to have your restaurant's phone number programed into their cell phone. Your phone in orders will double---You have made your customers feel "special"

---Is there a bar nearby? We always cooked extra ribs, and if it looked like we were going to have leftovers----I would send an employee over to the bar with a rib plate and have them buy a drink and sit there and eat the ribs. It never failed---the bar patrons would order food.

--- leftover ribs will make good rib sandwiches the next day, and rib meat stripped off the bone goes great in greens.

---Todays consumer has been taught that they are always right----and that if you close at 10:00 --that means that they can show up at 9:59:59 and get whatever they want. It is very dificult to keep BBQ at it's optimum for all hours that you are open. BBQ restaurant is kinda like a BBQ contest ---only as you are getting ready for your 2:00 turn in time----the time gets changed to 8:00

There are no easy answers----try to make each customer feel important---call them by name---as they leave say "It was great seeing you again. If you have one or 2 customers that buy ribs 3 or 4 times a week ask then for their phone number in case you have left over ribs at the end of the day. If you must discount something---at least discount it to someone who is spending a lot of money with you.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
landarc

You know, funny enough, I just got back from trying a friends new BBQ venture and he was out of brisket. I went there for the brisket. He was very honest and said that demand had outstripped supply, that his weekend events went so well, he simply ran out of brisket. He sold 90 briskets over 2 days, who knew?

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #24
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well this past Saturday Night, I had 1 more butt cooked, and 2 racks of spares more than normal. By a fluke, I had a flood of folks stop in at about 8:0 pm. All of the butt that I had cooked and one of the 2racks were wiped out.

But, here's the farkin' kicker:

The folks I had talked about in my original post stopped in at about 9:50pm (I made note of the time.) They asked if I had any left, and I told them just one rack of spares. They quickly said they wanted them. I wrapped the ribs up while Mrstx took care of the bill.

I heard the wife ask for $16 for thew ribs just as normal for our full racks. The would-have-been customer said they wouldn't pay full price for food that was still around at closing time.

Mrs tx knew that these were the same people bitching about not getting any Q later at night, so she told them that not to worry about it, she has two sons at home that would eat 3 day old hot dogs if you gave them the opportunity. The woman in the group started to gripe about how people don't know how to treat their customers anymore.

My wonderful wife simply replied, "I don't see any customers here, just people out to try to manipulate a bargain. We don't need customers like that."

I'll continue to cook more food, but to hell with these peopl Anyone else come across anything like this?

Farkin Freeloaders.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Well this past Saturday Night, I had 1 more butt cooked, and 2 racks of spares more than normal. By a fluke, I had a flood of folks stop in at about 8:0 pm. All of the butt that I had cooked and one of the 2racks were wiped out.

The folks I had talked about in my original post stopped in at about 9:50pm (I made note of the time.) They asked if I had any left, and I told them just one rack of spares. They quickly said they wanted them. I wrapped the ribs up while Mrstx took care of the bill.

I heard the wife ask for $16 for thew ribs just as normal for our full racks. The would-have-been customer said they wouldn't pay full price for food that was still around at closing time.

Mrs tx knew that these were the same people bitching about not getting any Q later at night, so she told them that not to worry about it, she has two sons at home that would eat 3 day old hot dogs if you gave them the opportunity. The woman in the group started to gripe about how people don't know how to treat their customers anymore.

My wonderful wife simply replied, "I don't see any customers here, just people out to try to manipulate a bargain. We don't need customers like that."

I'll continue to cook more food, but to hell with these peopl Anyone else come across anything like this?

Farkin Freeloaders.
What a bunch of losers!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #26
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Let me add: I am very comfortable with the reciepts I have right now. Everything is manageable. I don't want my business to expand too much right away.
Well I think you answered your question with this quote. I agree put up hours or until sold out. Make up flyers that say pre-order and state if you come late some things may be sold out or you could close early. Good BBQ takes time and we can't just nuke something like most restaurants.

As for the folks that tried to talk down the price - customers like tht you don't need. BUt don't tell them it's the last slab ask them what they want from what's available but no more info. TMI = how about a deal.

Sounds like your doing good. I'm trying to focus more on the weekend large events and when it's good it's great but there are a lot of highs and lows. Maybe I'll buy a small restaurant this winter.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #27
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Farkin Freeloaders.
MrsTx handled that awesome!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #28
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
MrsTx handled that awesome!!

WTG MrsTX!!!! I can hear Mrs Ash saying the same thing (Accountant mod)

Talk about manipulation! I worked at Shoneys (No Closed) in high school as a line cook. We were always told that we were not a fast food restaurant by management. But in the same training we had we were told to have Meals out in 7 mins or customers get it free! Ok were not fast food restaurant but we have to cook food fast! This couple use to come in every Sat at 3:30 when staff at the lowest. The Both would order steak well done with salad bar! You know where this is going! Eat and eat and eat SB wait the seven min then call management over and get meal for free! Then Take the Steaks home in to go bags. It was also management that told us not to thaw any steaks until ordered. I often wondered if the manager and the people knew each other (He was fired a month later)

On Saturday he was off and we had a different manager. We told him what was up and that the line crew wasnt gonna take any more hits to raises because if we didnt get it out it lowered our raises! We said if they didnt come in we would pay for the meals outta or pockets. We thawed what they normally ate and started cooking it before they arrived. Sure enough here they come! They ordered started to the SB and before they finished their first plate the dinner was on the table. Shoulda seen the looks on their faces (actually having to pay!) This went on for the next three weeks then for some reason they stopped coming in!

Policy was changed regarding the thawing of the steaks!

So Shane and Vel and we really know Wyatt does the cooking anyway WTG

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #29
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Farkin Freeloaders.
we used to have a sign that stated "if you are unhappy w/ our food or service-we're sorry" and the owner would say "f*ck ya very much come again"..no lack of business in a tourist town.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #30
landarc

You see people like that in all sorts of business. I used to participate in flyfishing shows and folks would wait until the end then approach with 'I will buy stuff cheap, you don't want to have to haul it all home' or in the restaurant, same thing, 'well, you have the food prepped, you have to throw it out, we will buy it cheap'. Those customers will drive you broke.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]