MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Judge's Comment Cards & Score Definitions

This week at Rio Rancho(KCBS) they did two interesting things:

1) Judges Comment Cards. Judges were encouraged to provide comments to the cooks on any entry they felt they wanted to provide feedback on. For example, when we got our scores, we received a note from a judge that said the brisket was "extremely flavorful and extremely tough". It was a nice gesture even though we already knew both of these facts(especially the 'tough' part).

2) They handed out the rating definitions at the cooks meeting. Not sure if they have ever done this before. (2= inedible, 3= bad, etc etc etc)
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is this something that KCBS was testing out or did the contest rep take it upon themselves to do this?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I believe it will become standard practice. I can not recall who mentioned it, Merl I think, but they said it was the first event they were doing this, and I THINK we have Merl sand Jim Minion to thank for it(?).

Perhaps a more clear headed thinker that was there will clarify. I froze a few brain cells, and lost a few more to the JD.

Last edited by G$; 04-02-2007 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

ICBA does not give feedback nor list scores other than the top 10 which I think is wrong.(At least this was true in the 1 competition that I have done.) How can you improve without feedback?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Arlin_MacRae

The homebrewer's governing body has done this for years and it's very effective in increasing the quality of future submissions. I can't imagine why there's been no feedback in all this time!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
parrothead

There has been wind about a system allowing judges to add comments for awhile. I like the idea. Gives the cook more to go on.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I am surprised there is not more response to this.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I agree Greg. I think that comments will be very beneficial. I think the comments are in the testing stage and will not be used at every event. At least I think that's what I read.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

A special committee which Jim and I are guiding is in charge of the Test Slip and comment card program. This is a sanctioned program passed by the BOD of KCBS.
There are 5 Reps who will use these cards at all contest where they officiate. The test is subject to change as we gather data from the contest. Currently the definitions on the Judges slips are:

1—Disqualified
2- Inedible
3—Poor
4—Below Average
5—Average
6—Above Average
7—Very Good
8—Terrific
9- Excellent

We still begin judging at 6 and there are no changes being made to the actual scoring system. We are trying to see if this will create an atmosphere where the judges scores are more consistent. We will determine the standard deviation and mean deviation for both types of scoring slips and then evaluate the results.

I had a lot of positive feedback and comments from cooks regarding the program last weekend in Rio Rancho. We want to hear from both Judges and Cooks as to their experiences.

It is likely we may change a word or two, especially "Terrific" If you have an idea, e-mail me at
Mwhitebook at kcbs.us

Yours in BBQ
Merl Whitebook

Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like the idea also. I personally would like to know what I did well and what I didn't do so well in the eyes of the judges. I think it will help us become better competitive Q'ers.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

It's an apples 'n' oranges comparison, but here is the official beer judging score sheet. It may spark an idea or two…

http://www.bjcp.org/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Flaming Pig Head Mod

Old 04-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Arlin, recheck that link. Thanks
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Arlin_MacRae

Did. I noticed it wasn't what I copied to the %^$% clipboard so I went back and recopied it.

Fixed now.

Flaming Pig Head Mod

Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
A special committee which Jim and I are guiding is in charge of the Test Slip and comment card program. This is a sanctioned program passed by the BOD of KCBS.

Yours in BBQ
Merl Whitebook
Thanks Merl, I was hoping you would expand on this and clarify.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

In regards to the IBCA events, it is almost impossible to do a print out as there system is totaly blind. No one knows who the winners are until the tickets are taken off the trays. This has been brought up to them in the past.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote