MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #181
h00kemh0rns
On the road to being a farker

This is like reading a series of books and waiting for the author to finish the next book. Keep up the good work Infernoo and hurry up to my sauce. :)
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #182
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00kemh0rns View Post
This is like reading a series of books and waiting for the author to finish the next book. Keep up the good work Infernoo and hurry up to my sauce. :)
Yeah, like when King did the Green Mile.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #183
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread, great work inferno. Your reviews are so detailed, I can't wait for you to continue.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #184
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

This thread is so awesome. Can't believe how it started out.

Interesting. I agree with landarc that this seems like a "typical" sauce that a lot of people would expect in a BBQ sauce. I, personally, don't usually go for a KC style sauce because of this "typicalness", but KC is supposed to be the "sauce capital of the world", so it's type of flavor is pretty in demand.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #185
ODU Dad

SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce - I like this sauce that a restaurant in Jacksonville, FL makes and sells and have been looking for a similar recipe for a LONG time. I made a batch of this earlier this week and put it on my homemade pastrami sandwich.

I can now stop looking for a good mustard based sauce recipe. Give this one a try.
ODU Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #186
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

I'd like to see this done with rubs. I don't want to do it it's a bunch of work for sure.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #187
Oldskull
Knows what a fatty is.

Default thanks from another newbie

Infernooo, Thank you for all your time, money, and especially your insight into the making and application of the different sauces and ingredients and how they could be used and modified. It is not only your reviews but the other little experiences you share that will speed up the learning curve for a newbie like myself to put to grate.. use. I think it will also save a bunch of time and money to 'hopefully' reduce mediocre attempts to come up with a sauce that can be used for whatever I might want to Q. You see, my audience doesn't share the desire of the journey of experimentation and they just want to eat good food so I still have to stick to the small cooks to avoid wasting food and money. My past experience with sauce was that it just caused the food to get charred. Now I have a thermometer and it goes on at the end of the cook! Thank you and the Brethren for helping me to see the error off my ways and I hope to learn a whole lot more about BBQ in the near future.
Gary
Oldskull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #188
Oldskull
Knows what a fatty is.

Default thanks from another newbie

I'm sorry. I'm so new I made a double post. But I would also like to add that I am glad I came back to this thread after the first couple posts. Keep up the great work. You are doing a GREAT service to us all.
Oldskull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #189
infernooo

Next we have the 10th entry - gixxers (AKA TIMMAYs) sauce!

Thank you for the entry

#10 gixxer (aka TIMMAY) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=40)

I have made this one a couple times, got it from one of Steven Raichlen's books. If you like to drink the bourbon whisky then this one is for you. I am a scotch man myself but this sauce still tastes pretty good. One suggestion I have is don't put crap whisky in it. If you aint gonna drink it then dont cook with it.

From Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes ~ Steven Raichlen
STILL HOUSE BARBECUE SAUCE
  • 1 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup onion, very finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and briskly simmer, uncovered, until richly flavored and slightly thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months. Makes about 4 cups.
Brush this sauce on ribs, chicken, or pork during the last 10 minutes of cooking. And serve plenty of it on the side.

Recipe Review:

Notes: As specified in the recipe, I used Jack Daniel's whiskey, ketchup was Heinz, and the wooster sauce was lea & perrins. I also used my regular combination of tones, colgins and wrights liquid smoke.

Ingredients: A very simple looking sauce, with an obvious sweet-sour-whiskey predominance to it. Apart from those in the ketchup, wooster sauce and the tabasco, there is basically no added spice, so most of the flavour depends on these ingredients.

Ease of preparation: Nice and easy, simply a matter of combining and simmering.

Modifications and variations tested: I tested this one on ribs (pork), as well as pulled beef and chicken wings.

Taste/Texture: This sauce has a nice mouthfeel, with an ever so slight burn at the back of the throat due to the alcohol in the whiskey and a tingling on the tongue from the tabasco and black pepper. If you do not like alchol or the flavour of whiskey, then this sauce is not for you. Whilst the alcohol flavour is not over dominating, it is most certainly present, and one must appreciate the flavour of whiskey to enjoy this sauce. In terms of texture, you have to be careful with this one - due to the whiskey, cider vinegar and wooster sauce, it can be a bit liquid if not cooked for long enough, and it does not thicken very much once it has cooled.

Recommendations: For those who are not big fans of sauces with spirits in them, you may like to cut the whiskey in half to tone it down a bit, flame it first or cook it a bit longer. Even though the sauce is simmered for a while and the alcohol content reduced, it definitely retains a bit of the "bite" of the whiskey and certainly the flavour of it. Given the proportions, I found the amount of tabasco and pepper enough to give it a bit of a kick, so those who enjoy spicy sauces will enjoy this, as it treads the fine line between mild and spicy.

Ratings:

Appearance: 8.5/10 A good looking sauce! The whiskey seems to give it a nice glossy look, and it is nice for a change having a sauce that is not as dark as the night due to colouring, and one with little flecks of black pepper.

Consistency: 7/10 As the thickness is controlled by reduction and not thickeners, you can control how thick it becomes. If you want it thicker, you will need to cook it for longer, as the liquid ingredients (whiskey, wooster, liquid smoke and vinegar) outnumber the thicker ingredients (ketchup, brown sugar). 20 minutes will result in a relatively thin sauce. I would recommend cooking it until a bit thicker if you are to use it as a glaze on ribs.

Taste: 7/10 I have the feeling that due to the large amount of whiskey, this will be a love-or-hate sauce for most people. I found the balance of flavours (sweet from the ketchup and sugar, sour from the vinegar, salty from the wooster and tabasco, heat from the tabasco) to be quite good, but it is definitely on the tangy and "bitey" side (i.e. tangy from the vinegar, "bitey" from the alcohol). The liquid smoke provides the slightest background flavour and thankfully does not take over the sauce but complements the smoke from the meat.

Versatility: 5.5/10 I find that alcohol based sauces can be very hit-and-miss with different meats, and definitely with the rubs used on those meats. With this sauce, I would have to say be careful with the rub, as some ingredients may clash with the sauce (for this sauce, I found that rubs with celery salt and ground coriander did not fare too well). For me, it worked very nicely on ribs, glazing up well, and as you are not drinking the sauce straight, the high whiskey content did not kill the other flavours. I did however find that it did not work well on the chicken or pulled beef.

Overall Rating: 7/10. An interesting sauce. As I mentioned above, I have the feeling that people will either love or hate this sauce, so the best way to find out which side of the coin you are on is to try it. Mr Raichlen has done a good job with this sauce, but I do feel its applications are limited. Whilst I would recommend it to people who love whiskey based sauces, I would not say it is the best sauce to use as an introduction to spirit based sauces as the whiskey is such a large part of this recipe (see recommendations).

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from left:

Cider Vinegar + Black Pepper + Liquid Smoke + Tabasco + Worcestershire Sauce, Brown Sugar, Ketchup, Whiskey. (Onion not shown).

2.)
Ingredients in the pot:

3.) Ingredients after cooking for 30 minutes:

4.) Finished sauce:

5.) After a day in the fridge:

As always, thank you for submitting your recipe

Next up, #11 - justjack
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #190
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a good looking sauce, great color.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #191
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Inferno, your findings are spot on about the love/hate thing. I made a couple sauces from his book for a family gathering, maybe 15 people, made that sauce, a spicy apple cider type, and a middle of the road semisweet one. Some absolutely loved the whiskey one, and others did not even try it cause they did not like the smell.

Thanks for the reviewing my pick, appreciate it! This stuff right here is what makes this forum awesome. Well, that and all the guys willing to help others with "operator error".
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #192
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Good review infernoooo, as always!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #193
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Keep up the great work.

Thanks for your dedication on this endeavor
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #194
ChrisB
Got Wood.

Because of this thread I've become engrossed in sauce-making. I'm having more fun with these recipes than I am smoking.

I had never made a mustard sauce before seeing these recipes, but I'm happy to report that my office just loved it when I served it with some pulled-pork last week.

Thank You! Thank You! to all who have submitted recipes, and to Infernooo for the reviews.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #195
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I was skeptical at first, but was in a "what the heck" mood. Infernooo has done a
wonderful job on the reviews, IMHO. Mind you, it's his opinion. We each have them
and differing opinions is not bad. However, he expresses his and WHY very well.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote