WSM and this STUPID door!

As mentioned, CB Stainless Steel Door, BBQGaskets gasket, and a compression latch and all your problems will go away...

I have the Cajun Bandit door with the factory latch and am perfectly happy with it. The CB door is solid. There is enough "seasoning" built up to prevent most air from escaping around the door. What little bit may escape really makes no difference to me.

After tonight, lets just say that I can't WAIT to get my Backwoods Smoker! Ill use the WSM for Ribs and chicken because this thing won't cook low and slow with all of these air leaks. Ill get the gaskets and the Cajun Bandit to go on it as wwell. Hopefully that will make a difference.

I sure hope you don't plan on getting much into that chubby...? Most people I know that have one use it for the rib cooked and do the rest on "other" pits.

I LOVE ME SOME BACKWOODS THOUGH!.....

He's got a WSM and not interested in buying or building another smoker..... Jeez! Cajun bandit makes a good solid door that won't tweak out of shape that easily.

In defense of on topic opposing views the OP mentions throwing the WSM away and or selling it.

Marty I enjoy and respect all your posts, just seeing this one a tad different����

Last edited:
After tonight, lets just say that I can't WAIT to get my Backwoods Smoker! Ill use the WSM for Ribs and chicken because this thing won't cook low and slow with all of these air leaks. Ill get the gaskets and the Cajun Bandit to go on it as wwell. Hopefully that will make a difference.

I actually bought the gaskets and the door before I ever cooked on my WSM. Gasket around the top and the door. Will hold temps like nobody's business.

Now, I know what the real problem is. It's that new woman...errr...smoker you're eyeballing that's coming into your life. The old girl's shortcomings always become more aggravating when there's a new one on the horizon.:mrgreen:

I actually bought the gaskets and the door before I ever cooked on my WSM. Gasket around the top and the door. Will hold temps like nobody's business.

Now, I know what the real problem is. It's that new woman...errr...smoker you're eyeballing that's coming into your life. The old girl's shortcomings always become more aggravating when there's a new one on the horizon.:mrgreen:

A red neck midlife crisis involving a smoker. Rather normal

I highly recommend you put the gasket on the wsm opening itself and not on the door. Make sure the surface is very clean and dry before you put the gasket on.

I have a wsm with the gasket kit from Cajun Bandits with their door and the gaskets have been holding for 2 years now. There are no leaks at all.

Are any of the sections out of round?

What temp do you get w/ all intakes closed? Do you cook w/ water in the pan? That may help to keep a lower temp.

If you have no luck after all this, call Weber CS and tell them about it.

I highly recommend you put the gasket on the wsm opening itself and not on the door. Make sure the surface is very clean and dry before you put the gasket on.

I have a wsm with the gasket kit from Cajun Bandits with their door and the gaskets have been holding for 2 years now. There are no leaks at all.

I put mine inside the CB door so it is not visible. Between the door, the gasket, and the handle, I get barely a wisp of smoke from my WSM besides the top vent...

I have three WSMs. None of the doors fit perfectly. There is always a small leak but it can be compensated for by adjusting the intake valves. If I want to cook at 225 and I never do I fill the water pan and maybe just crack the intake valves.
The only time I have had with temp spiking is when I didn't have the top on completely. On one cooker the middle section got out of round and it didn't seal. I fiddled with it though and now with a little pressure the top will fit properly.

Crap- every cooker I have leaks. Guess I will jettison all- take up cribbage, whatever the fark that is. Now where's my AC/DC tape with "you shook me all night long".

Seriously though, whether you call it perfection or OCD it's a frustrating concept to chase. I've had and sold two WSM's. Great cookers, both leaked smoke, they were so perfect I felt like I was not involved. I enjoy playing with fire. Give me imperfect every time.

Too many people obsess over the door on a wsm. there has never been a door that seals perfectly. ya just have to get over it. find where the wsm likes to settle in and get used to cooking at that. My 22 settled at 240. my bro's 18 with the guru adapter open (no guru fan attached) would be 250, open the vents 300. it was that simple.

Too many people obsess over the door on a wsm. there has never been a door that seals perfectly. ya just have to get over it. find where the wsm likes to settle in and get used to cooking at that. My 22 settled at 240. my bro's 18 with the guru adapter open (no guru fan attached) would be 250, open the vents 300. it was that simple.

Exactly. You need to learn to use the cooker. If you have a leak (and most smokers do) then just adjust the other vents to find your target temperature.

If you don't want to spend any money you can just lean the door out and put some HD aluminum foil in the gap against the door then shut it and trim the foil about 2" or 3" around the door. Just take the foil sticking out and use it to fill in the gap gently working your way around the door. I had to do this when mine was new for a while and it works well. Like others say if you want to buy a fix just get the Cajun Bandit door.

The stock door works fine for me though, I bent it to fit the curvature of the middle part and although it still leaks a little temperatures are pretty stable.

Back