1st Practice Boxes

Chipper

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK, I know I made a few mistakes. First was trying to do chicken and ribs on the same grill. I have a Grill Dome (Super Dome) which, if you don't know, is similar to the large BGE. Second, I used way too much rub on the chicken. Beyond that, I have no idea how to trim the chicken. so they didn't look great. Please give me any constructive criticisms, tips, and critiques. I did the best I could and the chicken and ribs both tasted great, so it wasn't a total disaster.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 164
Chicken - 7. Not bad. Possibly turn that bottom right piece around to fill the lettuce spot.

Ribs - probably a 5. Does not look that appetizing. Not a fan of the ribs on the side, especially in this case, where the ribs don't appear to be too meaty. Pic is dark so hard to see but looks like a better crust could have been built with a nice sauce layer to compliment. Rib cuts are a bit jagged..need to slice cleaner.

I would give a 7 on the chicken as well. Try and place thighs in that are about the same size. The lettace needs better placement as well. I know this is your practice box so I'm trying to be honest, no offense Bro.
Ribs.. I would say a 6 I think a better crust and a layer of sauce would perk them up and I agree with militantsquatter the cuts need to be clean and the ribs trimmed better/cleaner. Try Doing a St.Louis style cut on your spares and they will look better and fit in your box better.Same with your lettace needs some work as well.

Chicken skin looks blotchy, try and get is more uniform. Lighten up on the garnish and try and get your chicken to be the star. I give it a 6

Ribs look dry, they might not be but they look it and that is the first impression. I would put a glaze on the ribs and try and cut with a sharper knife. Unless you have extremely meaty ribs and a great smoke ring, do not present the meat side. I would give the ribs a 5.

Thanks so far for the comments. I will have some questions but would like to wait un till all that plan to weigh in have done so. So please, if anyone has any comments, let them fly.

In person, I bet your chicken box would have popped if you would have changed these 2 pieces around......stand back and look at simitry and placement before closing the lid.....and like I've posted before in other threads, look through the viewfinder of the camera.......

So as it is, a 7, switch the pieces, an 8.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 53
Back