Hickory Smoke Salt

D

ddog27

I usually use seasoning salt in my rubs. But I have been wanting to try some Hickory Smoke Salt in my rub. Has anyone tried the Hickory Smoke Salt? Should I take the seasoning salt out and replace it with the Hickory Smoke Salt? Or would it be better to go 1/2 seasoning salt and 1/2 Hickory Smoke Salt?

Arlin_MacRae said:
I used to use it.
Now I use hickory. ;)

That makes a lot of sense. I use Morton's hickory smoked sugar cure salt to make my "buckboard bacon". Around here it's called "cottage bacon". Sold by a lot of the local wanna be butcher shops. It's basicaly the same thing as buckboard bacon. Tastes great. Never used it in a rub.

I use Watkins Hickory Smoke Salt in all my rubs. As Spice sez it is quite salty so watch the total salt content.
I've quit using seasoned salt as a rub ingredient, most of the components of seasoned salt (salt, sugar, paprika, onion and garlic powders) are spices I use in the rub anyway. If you use seasoned salt you have no control over the amounts of each as they'll vary brand to brand and to a lesser extent batch to batch with the same brand, so I just add those things myself.

Back