To flip or not to flip...

SmokeWatcher

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm almost done building my first UDS and setting the inaugural fires, but I'm not sure about whether I should flip the meat or how often. What do you all recommend?

Depends, what are you cooking?

If we're talking pork butts and briskets, I don't flip either of them. For me briskets go fat cap down and stay that way until they're done. Given the location of the heat source on a UDS, I would do the same on there as well.

I usually start with the fat down for the first hour then turn fat cap up for the rest of the cook. The UBS turns out some darn good pork butt!!

Try diffenent ways to see what you like. I do brisket fat cap down and dont
't flip, butts don't flip, chicken, fatties, and ribs I usually flip and baste. Sometime I foil the brisket and butts but most of the time just let er smoke. IT"S ALL YUMMY! Let us know how it works out. Good luck!

Depends what you are cooking. I always flip butts, picnics, ribs and brisket. Spatchcocked chicken and thighs too.

Seems like the opinions are about even. I have the first fire in her now to see how she holds up. No meats right now....just getting her seasoned. I picked up a butt for tomrrow though. :cool:

I'ma flipper. On butts and briskets, I start fat down for 2 or 3 hours then turn for a couple more, then turn back again.

First flip

DSC02830.jpg

Next flip. Still about 4 or 5 hours until they are ready.

DSC02847a.jpg

When I cook on both levels, the lower grate cooks faster, so I start the bigger stuff there. I will rotate both racks on that first turn, and sometimes swap out stuff between racks on the next turn.

Thirdeye, not trying to hijack SmokeWatchers thread but maybe this will stay on his topic...how much quicker does the lower rack cook. Mine has two cooking levels but I haven't done much on the lower level..only when I used the flat lid for fun and not the weber dome. Hope this is helpful to SmokeWatcher as well.

Thirdeye, not trying to hijack SmokeWatchers thread but maybe this will stay on his topic...how much quicker does the lower rack cook. Mine has two cooking levels but I haven't done much on the lower level..only when I used the flat lid for fun and not the weber dome. Hope this is helpful to SmokeWatcher as well.

My lower rack is somewhere around 24" from the basket. I much prefer cooking on the upper (31" above) but when I have used only the lower, it shaves about 1-1/2 hours off of a typical 10 hour cook. The downside is, it's harder to turn meat because it is 1' down from the rim.

When both racks are used, It's quite a bit faster, maybe as much as 25% if the conditions are right. By that I mean a full load on the lower rack robs some of the direct heat getting to the upper. That is why I rotate meats. One thing I have done when cooking 3 briskets is to start the big one on the bottom. About halfway through the cook, they have shrunk enough for all 3 to finish on the top rack.

YES.....inquiring minds want to know. :-D

I've never flipped anything in the smoker, but I dont know enough about the UDS to give good info.

Sorry

Thirdeye, thanks as that is very helpful. My UDS seems to be about the same deminisions as yours. I will be cooking on both levels next week for a benefit cancer patient at work. Sweet lady with a great attitude about everything. Cooking about 100# brisket and butts on 3 UDS's and want it great for her. Thanks for the help.

Looks Good! Do what works for U. We all have a different way to do it all. What works for U is what U should stick to. Smoke'On

Back