MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #31
NorCalTDS
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : T

Final PRON
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbq5.jpg (46.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg bbq6.jpg (45.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg bbq7.jpg (56.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg bbq8.jpg (65.0 KB, 99 views)

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #32
notenuftoys
Found some matches.

Yum, I'm hungry!! Looks like you did great. How's the flavor?
notenuftoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #33
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice job, looks like dinner was a good one tonight. Were you happy with it?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #34
NorCalTDS
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : T

Dinner was real tasty boys! All the sides didn't hurt either. My lady made some great pasta salad and mashed potatoes, she mixes a parm ranch into the taters, real good! I did my beans with brown sugar, mustard, and bbq sauce....

Pork was good, nice pink smoke ring. Half away from the fire pulled real easy, near the fire was a little more sliced. I woulda liked a little more tender and juicy but still good for the first time. I'm my hardest critic, like I'm sure you all are too...

My big worries were not being ready soon enough or being inedible. My meat was neither, so it's a win for me.

I also mixed up a Carolina blend sauce. Based it with bbq sauce and added apple cider vinegar, apple juice, yellow mustard, red pepper flakes, oil and brown sugar. Blended that in with some cabbage for a slaw and put it on burger buns...real nice.

Thanks again for your help y'all!!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #35
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

so, how'd the fatties go over?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #36
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great!

Just noticed that you were cooking on a Chargriller, I have the same one and have cooked many, many butts on it but have since moved to an UDS and a home built smoker.

I had problems keeping the temp consistent at first also and used a ton of charcoal along the way.

Here are a couple of things I learned with mine:

Keep it out of the wind. Seems like the slightest change in wind direction can really make the temps go crazy, both up and down. Ive done everything to stacking hay bales around it, moving to the other side of the house, to using a big cardboard refrigerator box as a wind break. Just be careful not to catch everything on fire, lol.

Keep your charcoal piled up rather than spread out over the whole firebox grate. I used a couple of bricks in the firebox to keep the charcoal from spreading out. I also started building a small fire inside the cooking chamber opposite the firebox, just 15 - 20 briquettes to start and add 3 -4 every hour or so. I eventually made a charoal basket for the firebox but kept using the bricks inside the cooking chamber to deflect direct heat. You can still cook 4 butts at once this way, two on the upper shelf and two on the bottom.

I think these two things really helped me to start turning out some pretty darn good barbeque. Hope it helps. Just remember, practice, practice, practice.
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #37
NFLNative
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree with one of the other post. Don't just cook 1 butt. They freeze well and make nice easy meals so fill your cooker up. Assuming you plan on having sides, you should have plenty of pork to feed your crowd. For a 7 pound butt, I usually cook about 9 hours at 225-250. I have injected pork butts and just use a water solution of the rub. Works great. Do not mop and foil after about 5 hours.
NFLNative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt, Newbie, pork, Questions, tutorial