The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

All depend on how its labeled and perceived as well. I know that I have heard from many teams in the past that they thought the long island contest "the battle of the bbq brethren" was only for brethren members. At New Holland a few people who had seen the banner up top for raystown asked the same question when it was changed to Botb/PA.If i werent in "the know" I might be confused as well
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
All depend on how its labeled and perceived as well. I know that I have heard from many teams in the past that they thought the long island contest "the battle of the bbq brethren" was only for brethren members. At New Holland a few people who had seen the banner up top for raystown asked the same question when it was changed to Botb/PA.If i werent in "the know" I might be confused as well
Can you define "might"?...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Can you define "might"?...
—used in auxiliary function to express permission, liberty, probability, possibility in the past <the president might do nothing without the board's consent> or a present condition contrary to fact <if you were older you might understand> or less probability or possibility than may <might get there before it rains> or as a polite alternative to may <might I ask who is calling> or to ought or should <you might at least apologize>
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe a big question is who is the audience? Are the BotB comps supposed to attract the brethren who are world champions and compete weekly, or is it to attract some of the Q Talk folks who just make good Q to see who makes the best?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
They currently sanction contests on Florida , Georgia, and Alabama. I cannot speak on behalf of them as far as expansions plans go. The current president is a member here , maybe he will chime in.
We are always open to expansion requests. We have sanctioned contests in AL, FL, GA, TN, and the country of Panama. There is typically a little extra expense involved with the first contest as we train Reps and judges to our system, but generally speaking, once in place you're good to go. We have discussed this in the past on the BOD and we're set to mobilize

Signed,
The prez...
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I would like to do a B of the B in California

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Maybe a big question is who is the audience? Are the BotB comps supposed to attract the brethren who are world champions and compete weekly, or is it to attract some of the Q Talk folks who just make good Q to see who makes the best?

dmp

We would do all.. Shade tree/Backyard events are another thing on the books. 1 day chicken and rib events, or full blown 2 day BBQ events with only those new to competition cooking.. as well as standard 2 day events open to all. This would be up to organizers.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #23
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I believe that it's important to note that a Battle of the BBQ Brethren event (or even just a 'BBQ Brethren' event) does not preclude any sanctioning by any sanctioning body.

There needs to be a clear statement of what a BBQ Brethren event is and then move from there.

It would seem to me that if Phil was comfortable in the belief that an event would meet the criteria of what a BBQ Brethren event should be and is comfortable enough with the organizers to entrust them with the name of the Brethren, then discussions could take place based on that level of trust.

So, what does it mean to have a 'BBQ Brethren' contest?

To me, it would mean:

1) Possible inclusion of onsite judging.
2) Linking the event to a charitable fundraiser.
3) Having a quantifiable level of dedication to the ideals of the Brethren (whether through an onsite mentoring program, classes/demos for the public, or outstanding efforts to be 'team friendly'). Some facet of the event embodying the raison d'etre 'From the Backyard to the American Royal'

It goes without saying that Phil would be the final arbiter, but what would an ideal 'BBQ Brethren' contest be to you?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

What exactly would a "BOTB" title bring to an event especially an established event? If it's not going to be the sanctioning body or the organizer what would it bring to the table that would it make it attractive to either an organizer or a competitor?

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #25
SmokeInDaEye

Ideally it could develop into a series ala the Empire State to conclude each year with an invitational for that year's GCs with prizes for invitational to be subsidized by sponsors of the entire series. That alone would make it enticing to a lot of teams I would think, plus contest logos, web design, flyers, t-shirts, press outreach and other overhead should be much lower since your basically creating templates that can be customized per market.

If you owned BattleOfTheBBQBrethren.com (or BoBBqBattle.com), upcoming contests, rules, results, photos, videos, etc. could all live there.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #26
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Some facet of the event embodying the raison d'etre 'From the Backyard to the American Royal'

Eric
Huh? WTF
lol

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #27
Sawdustguy

Quote:
raison d'etre
Eric, you will have to define that phrase for us Polocks

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #28
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Huh? WTF
lol
I'm spitballing as much as anyone, but I'd like to see some part of any BBQ Brethren labeled event geared towards helping BBQ enthusiasts of any level up their game a bit.

Maybe a seminar on how to make rubs or what to look for in different cuts of meat.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #29
Sawdustguy

Quote:
So, what does it mean to have a 'BBQ Brethren' contest?

To me, it would mean:

1) Possible inclusion of onsite judging.
If an organizer bought into the concept of a BOBBQB event, would the KCBS buy into having onsite judging for the four main catagories if the Organizer wanted KCBS sanctioning also?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #30
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
What exactly would a "BOTB" title bring to an event especially an established event? If it's not going to be the sanctioning body or the organizer what would it bring to the table that would it make it attractive to either an organizer or a competitor?
Where did I hear that?

Oh.. here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

What we are working on is what WE can bring to the table to enhance a contest. What the future will hold is still on paper, but the current challenge is what value can we add to a contest or organizer to entice them. BotB 09 had the grilling challenge with onsite judging(and a specific rulebook) that was a huge hit, that can be a start as part of the footprint. Our strength is in our networking, and i am just today talking with some national advertisers who may be interested in adding prizes to the contests.

Good discussion.. Id like to hear more input. (Especially from organizers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Ideally it could develop into a series ala the Empire State to conclude each year with an invitational for that year's GCs with prizes for invitational to be subsidized by sponsors of the entire series. That alone would make it enticing to a lot of teams I would think, plus contest logos, web design, flyers, t-shirts, press outreach and other overhead should be much lower since your basically creating templates that can be customized per market.

If you owned http://www.BattleOfTheBBQBrethren.com (or BoBBqBattle.com), upcoming contests, rules, results, photos, videos, etc. could all live there.

youre hired as head of marketing.

RE: the domain... had that for years....you typed it wrong.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote